Article Index

Top Gun - CML Me109e

 

The Wings

The aileron servos are fitted to the servo hatches which in turn are secured by 4 tiny screws, all painted in the same colour as the surrounding surfaces, light grey.  The servo blocks are pre-fitted but added some more epoxy for piece of mind.  The JR servos fitted nicely after a some more clearance was made between the blocks with a sharp knife.  Once fitted and checking servo arms don't foul the exit slots, which mine did, it was time to fit the wire control rods.  Again marking a line from the servo arm and where it crosses the aileron, the horn position is located.  Fitting the horn is standard with the supplied screws.

Screwing on the clevis's I now fitted the clevis to the horns and where the rods cross the servo arms, a 90 deg bend was formed.  Cutting off the excess the rods were now pushed through the servo arms and secured with supplied plastic "keeps".

Everything had gone together okay so lifting the hatches, I CA'd the screw holes and shrunk wrapped the servo lead plug and extension lead socket so they doin't come part at a later date.  Using a spare receiver and battery pack I plugged in the servos so I could set the servo direction and travel up.  With retracts already located that was it for now for the wings.  The additional scale stuff can be fitted later. ie; coolant radiators, landing gear covers and cannons.

Time to glue the wing halves together.  The supplied wing joiner is ply and has the dehydral pre-set and slided into each wing half slot.  However, the joiner needs to sanded down until it is a nice sliding fit in each wing.  The same goes with another smaller joiner that is located nearer the trailing edge.  Once the wings can slide together and the mating faces are good and in alignment on a dry-fit it is time to epoxy the two together.  I used 30 minute EP for this to allow for time to align and set.  Using strong elastic bands wrapped round the temporarily fitted the wing bolts and also wing leading edge dowel pins left the wing to set.

After the glue was set it was time to test fit the wings to the fuselage.  The twin dowels are pre-fitted but they were not located correctly which meant that they would not pass into the fuselage locating holes.  They had been glued in at an angle. (Friday night job in China!)  So I decided the quickest way round this was to drill them out and fit my own dowels.  Making up my own dowels and making them a fairly tight fit I fitted the wing into the fuselage therefore aligning the dowels correctly.  This seemed to work!  Removing the dowels again, I applied 30 min EP to dowel holes and with dowels relocated in the wings I again fitted the wing carefully till it was not quite in final position and allow the EP to set.  The wing now locates in to the fuselage easily but with a good fit.

The air retracts are designed to be secured with wood screws which I was'nt comfortable with, so using a template derived from the air retract I drill out four holes and fitted them with spike nuts from the underside.  Not easy but done!  The retracts are now secured with four 4mm socket head set screws.  The wings came with some pull throughs installed which I used to pull lengths of air-line and the aileron servo extension cables too which exit through holes at the wing root.  The airlines where connected to the Y connector which then had a short piece of line connected to the quick-connect.  In each of the wing lines a restrictor was fitted to slow the retract action

 

 

.