Forgot Login?  

Frequently Asked Questions


Can I Have Trial Flight?  Yes.  If you are new to the hobby or are genuinely interested we recommend having a trial flight or two first before outlaying any money.  This is done normally on a Saturday by appointment. An instructor will take you up using a buddy-box system.  Two controllers but he has the master. Imagine dual control car!

Yes.  At the same time you can ask your instructor and other members for advice with regards to models.

Subscriptions run from 1st January to 31st December. 12 month period.

Yes.  The club has a number of instructors who will train you through to gaining your White Card.  The White Card signifies that you have achieves the minimum standard of control to be able to fly solo.  Instructors are volunteers and therefore this is a club member benefit but not a right.

This depends entirely on you.  You ability to control the aircraft in a safe manner and to pass the Club's basic test which includes knowledge of the Club's handbook.  Until then you will be using a Red Card and can only fly under supervision.

Every weekday from 8.00am to 10.30am, weather dependent. Once training is undertaken we recommend that members attend every available day possible preferably consecutively to shorten the time to solo flight.

Saturdays there are usually more instructors available.

Sundays depending on the instructors, although this is arranged within the Training section on the Forum.

We would say NO if you have never flown before. have a free trial flight first to get the feel of it. You may find it is not what you really want or are able. Although other than safe  and controlled flying, following orientation of the aircraft is the key.

It is available all year round except Christmas Day. Flying times are 0800hrs to 2030hrs or dusk.  Sundays - No flying before 1030 hrs

Control of a model aircraft relies on vision and your ability to follow it's orientation.  As long as your eyesight is corrected for good to excellent vision there should be no problem.

 Recommend wearing polarised sunglasses too on any day except dull days.

For current fees go to the Club Info menu and then Subs/Fees menu

YES.  Model aircraft can cause serious damage to property and people possibly even death to the latter.  An earth bound model would be covered by your personal liability insurance which is usually associated with some other insurance, ie; house or motor.

All pilots of model aircraft should have BMFA (British Model Flying Association) insurance. This is mandatory.  Although some park flyers don't  and that's their risk.  It is mandatory for club members to have BMFA insurance .  You can visit the BMFA website and arrange your insurance online.  The BMFA insurance covers at time of writing for public liability £25,000,000. It also includes life insurance for your self.

Not directly as such.  We assume that anyone taking up RC flight will be able to assemble a model and install hardware.  As a member you have access to the forums where help will available in getting your purchased model assembled and set up.  Once put together, you would bring it up the field where members will help you finalise the set up and check it out for you.

From January 2019 you can only apply on online. Instructions and details are all on the form.

The  Membership Secretary will verify your payment and then complete the formailites and shortly after you will be issued with a Welcome Pack which includes your Membership Card ( the card has your member number, BMFA number and Gate access code) and a link to register on the website. We do not under GDPR Rules automatically register you on the website.

All model aircraft and drones over 250gms must not be flown unless the pilot has an Operator ID and Flyer ID by Law as of November 30th 2019.  Flying anything other than a Kite or Balloon can render you liable to large fines and confistication of the model aircraft or in serious cases imprisonment.

After some serious near misses by Multi-Rotors also known as Drones will full size aircraft and crashes at public events a law was being brought in to stop this dangerous activity by a very small number of drone pilots.  After the Gatwick shutdown during Christmas 2018 the Law was rushed through Parliament and registration of all pilots came into force in november 2019. The CAA is responsible for all UK airpsace and that also includes model aircraft flights.

As of 2021 we become under the regulations of  EASA. This covers ALL aircraft full size and model.