Frequently Asked Questions - All FAQs

All FAQs

Can I Have Trial Flight?  Yes.  If you are new to the hobby or are genuinely interested we recommend having a trial flight or two first before outlaying any money.  This is done noramlly on a Saturday by appointment. An instructor will take you up using a buddy-box system.  Two controllers but he has the master. Imagine dual control car!

Depends on whether you intend to fly using an electric plane or glow engined.  Is it ready built (RTF)  or part built (ARF) ?

Both types require some necessary accessories.  You will need a transmitter, a receiver and if an ARF some servos and a battery pack.

Read the articles here: Gas or Glow?

Yes.  At the same time you can ask your instructor and other members for advice with regards to models.

Subscriptions run from 1st January to 31st December. 12 month period.

At present there are two levels of subscription discounts depending on the time of year you join. See menu Club Info/Subs/Fees

Yes.  The club has a number of instructors who will train you through to gaining your White Card.  The White Card signifies that you have achieves the minimum standard of control to be able to fly solo.  Instructors are volunteers and therefore this is a club member benefit but not a right.

This depends entirely on you.  You ability to control the aircraft in a safe manner and to pass the Club's basic test which includes knowledge of the Club's handbook.  Until then you will be using a Red Card and can only fly under supervision.

Every weekday from 8.00am to 10.30am, weather dependent. Once training is undertaken we recommend that members attend every available day possible preferably consecutively to shorten the time to solo flight.

Saturdays there are usually more instructors available.

Sundays depending on the instructors, although this is arranged within the Training section on the Forum.

We would say NO if you have never flown before. have a free trial flight first to get the feel of it. You may find it is not what you really want or are able. Although other than safe  and controlled flying, following orientation of the aircraft is the key.

It is available all year round except Christmas Day. Flying times are 0800hrs to 2030hrs or dusk.  Sundays - No flying before 1000 hrs

This depends on your preference when starting out.  Electric is clean and fairly quiet but requires a battery normally a Lithium Polymer and a specialised charger.

Glow engines use fuel which has a small percentage of oil in the fuel which after a days flying will need wiping off the plane. You will also need a glow starter, fuel pump to lift fuel out of can into the plane.

Read the following article and it's links: RC Flight Help

Control of a model aircraft relies on vision and your ability to follow it's orientation.  As long as your eyesight is corrected for good to excellent vision there should be no problem.

 Recommend wearing polarised sunglasses too on any day except dull days.

For current fees go to the Club Info menu and then Subs/Fees menu

YES.  Model aircraft can cause serious damage to property and people possibly even death to the latter.  An earth bound model would be covered by your personal liability insurance which is usually associated with some other insurance, ie; house or motor.

All pilots of model aircraft should have BMFA (British Model Flying Association) insurance. This is mandatory.  Although some park flyers don't  and that's their risk.  It is mandatory for club members to have BMFA insurance .  We arrange this at time of joining or you can visit the BMFA website and arrange your insurance online.  The BMFA insurance covers at time of writing for public liability £25,000,000. It also includes life insurance for your self.

Not that simple as prices invariably rise over a year.  A typical glow high wing trainer in 2019

Initially we have to factor in a 6 channel transmitter, a 6 channel receiver, a 4.8 volt battery pack, 4 analogue servos, a cheap 0.46 engine a high trainer ARF (part built)  

Total around  £350 to £400 For glow engine models we also need glow starter, a fuel hand pump and fuel.  Approx £40

A popular starting alternative are EPP and EPO foam models. Virtually ready to fly requiring only a battery, transmitter and receiver.  Models start at about £150. Lithium Polymer battery pack approx £30. Transmitters from £120, receivers from £35. You also have to factor in a dedicated special charger for the battery pack from £45.

In the end it does tend to balance out costwise but electric are quieter and quick to get flying. Or you may prefer the sound the of an IC engine!

Yes they are and sometimes more.  Brushless motors (the magnets rotate around the windings) are quite efficient and with the relatively new LiPo ( [[Lithium Polymer]] )  battery packs they can develop outstanding torque in an instant unlike glow or petrol engines. A small 50mm diameter motor powered by a 22volt (6 cell) Lipo battery could produce 2 to 3 hp.

Not directly as such.  We assume that anyone taking up RC flight will be able to assemble a model and install hardware.  As a member you have access to the forums where help will available in getting your purchased model assembled and set up.  Once put together, you would bring it up the field where members will help you finalise the set up and check it out for you.

Yes.  Safety above all else is top priority within our club and should be within any other club too.

Regarding just the model itself and it's power train, whether electric or internal combustion (glow or petrol).  Keep objects, loose clothing and body parts away from the rotating propellor.  Do not stay in front of it and including all spectators stay behind the model.

When connecting a main battery in electric models assume that the model is "live" and treat it as you would an ic powered model. On contact with objects, etc, motors do not stall and stop like an engine would.

All models must be restrained before starting or connecting a battery.

At present you can download an Application form from this website, found under Club Info/Downloads/Membership Form, print it out, fill it in and along with the relevant fee in cheque form send to the Membeship Secretary.

He will complete the formailites and shortly after you will be issued with a Membership Card and Club Handbook.

As of January 2019 you can also apply on online. Instructions and details are all on the form.

All model aircraft and drones over 250gms must not be flown unless the pilot has an Operator ID and Flyer ID by Law as of November 30th 2019.  Flying anything other than a Kite or Balloon can render you liable to large fines and confistication of the model aircraft or in serious cases imprisonment.

After some serious near misses by Multi-Rotors also known as Drones will full size aircraft and crashes at public events a law was being brought in to stop this dangerous activity by a very small number of drone pilots.  After the Gatwick shutdown during Christmas 2018 the Law was rushed through Parliament and registration of all pilots came into force in november 2019. The CAA is responsible for all UK airpsace and that also includes model aircraft flights.

As of 2021 we become under the regulations of  EASA. This covers ALL aircraft full size and model.