Pilot RC Extra Convert from EP to IC

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #23489 by Phil Ford
Pilot RC Extra Convert from EP to IC was created by Phil Ford
Quite a while ago when our Summer's were long and warm my Wots Wot was powered by electric, five cell the biggest that it would take. It flew very well but became boring and a pain having to invert to slide battery out. I, then to many members disgust converted it to glow, a nice four stroke and never looked back. A Bipe with throbbing four stroke. :)

I may have mentioned this to quite few of you recently, well moaning actually about the lack of decent lipos and the fact that prices have leapt up by around 25% and much more at HKing. Now you may be okay for 3 and 4 cells but if you want big 6 cell packs it is going to cost you. I need 10 cells or 12 cells for my Extra 300 because the one set I have is dying and to buy top notch ones like Gens-Ace, Admiral or Overlander is going to be eye-watering to me. (got to be careful with cash) Say two pairs of 6 cells would come out at £400. :whistle: I have been considering this for some time and which is why I am saying bye bye to large electric and converting the Extra to petrol. My favourite engine the OS 33GT I could only find at Modelshop Leeds (one in stock) but over the weekend someone snapped it up.:( Next option and highly rated is the GP38 and I have grabbed one from Probuild.

Do you think electric cars will go the same way?:lol: :silly:
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #23490 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Pilot RC Extra Convert from EP to IC
I assume your talking about the XL version.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #23491 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Pilot RC Extra Convert from EP to IC
Read carefully Kevin. ;) The Wots Wot was just an intro. Some think it strange to go IC when you have clean, quiet electric. I am talking about the Pilot RC Extra 300 - 73
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevinross

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #23517 by Phil Ford
Removed the motor and ESC today. Thought this will be quick n easy conversion. Re-drill for GP38 engine mountings. Not so! :( Unlike DLE the carb body extends past the end of the stand-offs. This will require jig sawing out at least to my pen lines. I also think that as the throttle arm is downwards it is going to line up with the floor of the engine box. In limbo now........

Added more images
Attachments:

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #23518 by Phil Ford
And there is more......... GP and Pilot RC have been promoting the Laser 73 and the GP38 together. According to the images the Laser has to be cut out also. Although the images show no stand-offs just an extended engine box.

If I carry on with this particular conversion I think I would have to beef up the engine box too with ally angle because there is not a lot of wood left.....
Attachments:

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #23519 by Phil Ford
Mulled over it for a few hours and thought, "what the hell". Jigsaw, wood chisels and the engine now bolts on. Time to tidy up and make up some metal plates to reinforce the firewall as some of the fillets will have been partly cut away. Noticed that on the newer version of the Pilot RC Extra 73 they have used metal angles rather relying on fillets.
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds