Any Ideas? Novice builder /flyer

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 7 months ago #10028 by
I have completed building up my Wot4 a with Quantum 11 - 40 motor, suitable speed controller and Futaba 8j radio. Everything is fine and finished except propulsion. The speed controller requires a set up procedure on a various beep sequence when the battery is connected, moving throttle from full to minimum. Once I have gone through the sequence finishing at no throttle, the distress sound from the controller that preceded the set up sequence stops. However when I open the throttle again the distress sounds start again and the motor does not spin. Any ideas?
Suggestions gratefully received
Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #10031 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Any Ideas? Novice builder /flyer
Hi Simon, the series of beeps are to program certain parameters, brake on/off, number of cells LiPo , timing, etc etc. You don't say what make of ESC but generally they all follow the same menu for setting up. Most except for really cheap and nasty ones will automatically set themselves with default values. You can then make changes depending on the model requirements to suit yourself. But anyway let's keep it simple!

You say "distress". Have not heard that one before!

I am assuming that you are connecting power (I would recommend not having the prop on just yet for safety) and you should get one beep or a silly tune (arming) then a series of beeps (number of cells in LiPo pack, then one long beep or silly tune. Ready to fly Check direction of rotation of motor by using a little throttle. Anti-clockwise as you look at it from the front. If going in wrong direction then swap any two motor connections.

Now if I am assuming right, at the end of the arming sequence your getting a beep, beep, beep? This is the ESC not knowing where the low throttle is or throttle lead not plugged in correctly. Disconnect power pack. Make sure your throttle stick is in the low position and also check the throttle trim is middle or low. Reconnect power. Try again. Don't move the throttle stick or you will enter ESC menu.

Still getting beep beep beep? Check your throttle direction in the Futaba TX menu. It will be under servo direction menu. Change it. It may be reversed and the ESC safety feature is doing it's job. Don't want to plug in power pack and motor goes full power and the consequences of that are.......... :whistle:

See how that goes Simon.

You are connecting power with the throttle low?
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 7 months ago #10033 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Any Ideas? Novice builder /flyer
Tell us what speed controller you are using. All you say is that it has a suitable speed controller, but I'm not familiar with this brand!!!

More
7 years 7 months ago #10034 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Any Ideas? Novice builder /flyer
I've just realised...you're using futaba. You MUST reverse the throttle channel on your transmitter because futaba in their infinite wisdom have decided that low throttle is 2ms and high throttle is 1ms. This is the opposite to all other radio manufacturers. You can, of course, check that this is needed by connecting the battery to the ESC with the throttle fully OPEN. Your ESC will think the throttle is closed and you will get the normal sequence of beeps followed by silence. The distress you are hearing is because your ESC thinks you are at full throttle when you have the stick back.

Once you have reversed the throttle you might need to go back through the programming sequence if you accidentally messed something up when you tried it with a reversed throttle.

Make sure you do all of the above with your propeller removed, just in case the motor kicks into life at full throttle.

More
7 years 7 months ago #10035 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic Any Ideas? Novice builder /flyer
When you have it working dont forget to check your failsafe is working, once again I would do this with the prop removed

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 7 months ago #10036 by
Replied by on topic Any Ideas? Novice builder /flyer
Mike its DYNAMIC. Can't find anything about them on the internet though, I got it from Inwood models. They did not have the Ripmax as specified in the Wot4 instructions so supplied their equivalent

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds