Advice on batteries please!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 5 months ago #14811 by
Hi, we are getting the WOT 4 Mk2 for Jacob for Christmas and the recommended Li-Po battery for this is 4S1P 4500mAh 30C. I've been on the hobby king website and none of their batteries exactly fit this description. As I don't know anything about batteries I'm not sure which of these elements is the most important and which be slightly different to the recommended and still work OK. Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks for all your advice,

Nicola

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 5 months ago #14814 by
Replied by on topic Advice on batteries please!
Hi Nicola
I purchased Zippy 4 cell 4500mah lipo batteries from the Hobbyking site last week for £34 ish each plus carriage. (Right now carriage is free by the way) The only modification you may need to do is to change the connector on the electronic speed controller as the Zippy battery packs have 5.5 bullet connectors on them. Easily done, I'm sure one of our members can help with that one.
Simon

More
6 years 5 months ago #14816 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Advice on batteries please!
You could go 5000 mah but the size of the battery may not fit the space allocated. You won't lose much if you comeback to 4000 maH. Here is one here that may just do the job - hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-flightmax-4000mah-4s1p-20c.html or this one - hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-battery-4000...lipo-pack-xt-60.html Both are in stock in UK warehouse.

The other thing to factor in, is the connector type on the Speed Controller (ESC) The Zippy uses 4mm bullets. Turnigy packs use XT60, so there may some soldering to do.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 5 months ago #14820 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Advice on batteries please!
I've done a little searching and found three batteries that would suit your needs. Phil has already linked to two of them and Simon has alluded to the third.

£20
£25
£30

You do get what you pay for, so the more expensive battery is better. The following analogy might help with understanding why...

Capacity: 4000mAh vs 4500mAh. Think of this like the size of your cars fuel tank. A bigger tank will drive your car for longer. So you will have a longer flight with a 4500mAh battery.
C-Rating: 20C vs 30C. Think of this like regular unleaded and premium unleaded. A higher C-rating will give you a little more power at full throttle which means you can throttle back a little bit and this will be kinder to your battery.

As others have pointed out, the connectors supplied with batteries do not always match those on the controller. This does not really matter because connectors can be changed easily. However, do not attempt to do this without seeking advice first. A common mistake is to cut off both the positive and negative connector at the same time and this risks the wires touching which at best will ruin the battery (instantly) and could even lead to a fire/explosion.

More
6 years 5 months ago #14821 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Advice on batteries please!
For those who are inexperienced in the craft of soldering Overlander offer adaptors between most of the more popular connector types, see:

www.overlander.co.uk/catalogsearch/resul...o+convert+deans+type
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian,

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #14832 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Advice on batteries please!

Simon O wrote: Hi Nicola
I purchased Zippy 4 cell 4500mah lipo batteries from the Hobbyking site last week for £34 ish each plus carriage. (Right now carriage is free by the way) The only modification you may need to do is to change the connector on the electronic speed controller as the Zippy battery packs have 5.5 bullet connectors on them. Easily done, I'm sure one of our members can help with that one.
Simon

Simon - Can i assume that with 4 std servos & 4S pack you are using the BEC output from the ESC as opposed to using a separate 4S Ni-mH cell ?

(I will be supplying the Tx Rx & servos combo and will offer to rework the ESC connections if required )
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by kevinross.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.393 seconds