Bubbles on paint finish

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #15677 by Brian
Bubbles on paint finish was created by Brian
My MSX Foamy has developed a load of bubbles in the paint finish. I thought it might have been caused by the damp atmosphere in the shed. I tried to get rid of the bubbles by gently warming the model with a heat gun set at "low" and a reasonable distance from the surface. It didn't work, and now I have a patch on the model that looks like Rice Krispies. What do I do next? Lightly sand and paint? Add milk and eat? I should have known better than to have applied local heat, especially as I now remember that moulded foam is made from steam heated styrene beads in a closed mould. Any ideas for returning the model to its original smooth surfaced state?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #15678 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Bubbles on paint finish
Hi Brian

Have you tried just puncturing the bubbles and seeing if they flatten out if left for a bit, if not just try pressing them down after puncturing . Sounds to me if there is air trapped, so heating will just make it worse
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by JonTappin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
6 years 2 months ago #15679 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Bubbles on paint finish
I have had a couple of foamies that went like that Brian. Lightly sand down and respray with Halfords Car aerosols (acrylic) Did this on my Habu II EDF and an Orange MXS

More
6 years 2 months ago #15680 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Bubbles on paint finish

PhilF51 wrote: I have had a couple of foamies that went like that Brian. Lightly sand down and respray with Halfords Car aerosols (acrylic) Did this on my Habu II EDF and an Orange MXS

Brian - Just be aware that the propellant can sometimes affect the foam - can needs to be far enough away such that
the propellant evaporates before it reaches the foam. Guide is about 12 in.
Colin

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #15682 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Bubbles on paint finish
Thank you all for the input. When it gets a bit warmer outside, I plan to lightly sand the whole model, fill any dents and dings with Polyfilla One Fill, paint with DeLuxe Materials Foam Armour, then re-paint using water based acrylics. Might even go mad and use a Red Bull theme.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #15683 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Bubbles on paint finish
Don't know the make up of your nominated Polyfiller but if your going to use a builders filler, you might find this stuff will add less ballast. Ive used it and its similar to the micro balloon based fillers sold by model shops. Some places sell it in 250ml tubs

www.toolstation.com/shop/p88654?r=google...eEAQYASABEgKqLvD_BwE
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by kevinross.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.496 seconds