DLE 20 Advice

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 2 months ago #1196 by AlanF
DLE 20 Advice was created by AlanF
I'm currently building a Great Planes Extra 300 kit and considering powering it with a DLE20. This would be my first foray into petrol engines and I would welcome some advice from the experienced gassers in the club .

I gather from comments on various forums that the DLE 20 with stock exhaust is quite noisy. Would an engine with the stock exhaust be too noisy to fly at Cashmoor?

I've seen, on the web, an exhaust restrictor device which plugs into the muffler outlet which apparently reduces noise somewhat at the cost of a few hunderd rpm. Anyone know how effective they are?

An alternative would be to get a Just Engines pitts style muffler. Does anyone have any experience of these and their effectiveness?

I'd ideally like to get the DLE 20 RA ( rear exhaust ) but I suspect that the choice of after market silencers would be limited as it's a new engine.

Any thoughts or experiences on achieving a noise level suitable for flying at Cashmoor would be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #1199 by
Replied by on topic DLE 20 Advice
I have a DLE55RA that I flew in my P47 on the last scale day at Cashmoor with the supplied pitts style exhaust and had no complaints from those present. I even had to do some ground running as it was the first start up of the motor.
Ron.

More
10 years 2 months ago #1200 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic DLE 20 Advice
I have a DLE20 and with the stock exhaust it is LOUD!!!!!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #1202 by
I have a DLE20 in my YAK 54, ok, its only flown twice at Cashmoor but it has a Pitts In Cowl style muffler on it and I thought it was very acceptable in terms of noise...I bought it from the chap over near Bearwood who runs a model workshop from his bungalow! (sorry his name has totally escaped me)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #1207 by
The standard and pits style exhaust in my opinion are only good for deflecting what little residue petrol engine produce!!
They are LOUD and I believe if they keep getting used there wont be many flying sites left in the uk!!
Being a kit built model you have the perfect opportunity to adapt the fuselage for a canister or even a tuned pipe! :evil:
Yes it's more expensive and may take longer to get flying but the long term benefits are fare greater in my opinion,
No bleeding ear drums
More power!!
and the main thing you keep the flying site!!

Take a trip to Probuild they have a good selection of pipe/canister's and manifold's, will also help you install them. B)

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 2 months ago #1211 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic DLE 20 Advice
Thanks for the replies chaps.
Ok the stock exhaust is a definite no.
A Pitts muffler would be the easiest to fit , it would be interesting to hear how loud your YAK is James. Was the exhaust home made or was it a commercial one he sold on?

But re-reading your post Chris is sounds like I need to have a stare at the plans to see how a canister would fit and then have a chat with Probuild.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds