DLE55 Dying

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #26378 by Phil Ford
DLE55 Dying was created by Phil Ford
Started about 2 months ago the Cap would fly fine and after a few minutes the engine note would change and losing power at top end. To keep it going I would come back to a half throttle. It would get me nearly back to the strip and then it would die. On the ground it appeared to run just fine. Anyway, stripped the carb and cleaned it out and refitted. Back to the field and re-tune and fly. Flew for about one circuit and started to flounder and then died. Am I going to make it back? Nope! Luckily as it went down the south field and disappeared below the bank height, I managed to keep wings level, I gently pulled up on the elevator. Kevin and I found it happily sitting on the field undamaged. :whistle:

Due to the weather I was unable to get the engine off again until today. Looking at the removed carb the filter had some greyish gunge covering it. It appeared to be minute grit like. Cannot be grit. I think it is fuel tubing breaking down as the only answer as the carb was only cleaned out two flights ago. Anyway I have stripped the carb out again and stuck it in Peter Willis's ultrasonic cleaner (thanks Peter) and then fitted a new kit. I think I will add another line filter between the tank and carb and re-plumb lines. If this don't solve the problem then it has to be electrical failures. I don't fancy anymore Power Scale Gliding.;)
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #26379 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic DLE55 Dying
Are you talking about the gauze filter from the carb pump chamber to the regulator needle. If so, I found this filter blocked with a sticky gunge when i used Deluxe materials 2 stroke oil. So what oil are you using ?

Provide you use a felt chunk filter, no further filtering should be required and extra filters are a possible source of air entry.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 4 months ago #26380 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic DLE55 Dying
Oil is Halfords for motor bikes. Could not get hold of Fuchs racing oil. Felt clunks? In short supply unless you want a giant size one.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #26383 by Phil Ford
Stripped out the carb again.  Gave it a few minutes in the ultra-sonic cleaner using white wine vinegar.  Re-kitted it and replaced the fuel lines. Waiting on better weather to start it up and retune
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #26398 by Phil Ford
Sunday, 29th January.  Took the CAP232  up to the field. Got it started once fuel was pulled up. Will not rev over half throttle - dies. Fiddled with it for a bit but still no joy.  Now I am thinking!  Have I assembled the carb correctly?  Jets were set at factory default.  Is there some gunk still hiding in the main port?  I may have another carb somwhere so I will re-kit that and see what happens.  So frustrating. 
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
1 year 2 months ago #26399 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic DLE55 Dying
Deja Vu, didn't it turn out to be the ignition unit last time this happened to you?

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.316 seconds