Which wing?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #6974 by
Which wing? was created by
I'm quickly discovering that there are 'enthusiasms' that ripple though the club, war birds anyone :whistle: , and at some point slope and combat were the thing, maybe it'll come around again?

Anyway, the increased winds of recent weeks, and the prospect of another grounded weekend has got be looking for a suitable model, not too expensive, but hopefully a bit of fun and something different.

So far I've heard of the Zagi: www.zagi.com/zagi-rc-gliders
4 Max's version: the Yeti: www.4-max.co.uk/aircraft-yeti-slope.htm
Three different models from Flying Wings www.flyingwings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=66
And I think JRI and Phil C have SAS models soar-ahead-sailplanes.co.uk/

So from those that have gone down this road, which are the good ones and which are the ones to avoid? I'm thinking it might be something I can suggest my family club together for as a possible Christmas/Birthday present, the two being too close for comfort in my case.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #6975 by
Replied by on topic Which wing?
zagis started it but havnt really been developed, they have a nasty tip stall when you push the elevator too hard.

There are better alternatives that fly faster, retain energy better and have better handling/hit recovery.

any of the others you mention are great models.

defo stick with 46-50inch span smaller tend to suffer with drag/energy retention as well as getting lumped around, bigger get heavy and flexible.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #6976 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Which wing?
Jump on in Chris. ;) This is where having a diverse number of aircraft comes in useful.

The SAS. Looks good buy not particularly exciting, a bit slow. I know, got one a 46 inch. Foam is coarse, like compressed coke so neat cutting is not that easy. Had to spray mine with 3M adhesive first.
The Zagi wing, J Perkins are good, reasonably dense white foam, so was Irvine X-IT but they discontinued. I tried Flying Wings - some of their foam wings are made of coarse black foam and tape doesn't stick to well either.

Go for the 46-48 inch wings, they get small very quickly when flying high or far out and slightly heavier.

Some others will jump in with their favourites so you have to make your own decisions. I am biased towards JP having had three of them. I would also recommend getting a wing that uses a carbon or ply joiner tube. Some don't and rely on the fibre tape to set the wing.

Best have a go first with someone elses ;) Come on up tomorrow and use mine. Jon T & Pete M helped me 7 years ago and I was instantly hooked.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #6977 by
I will have my gulp SR and zagi with me with 2 tx's more than welcome to fly both.

just be aware that you will want to wear windproof stuff, hats and good footwear are a must.

More
8 years 5 months ago #6980 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Which wing?
Here is a FREE "carcase" which I've repaired. Just buy yourself some reinforcement and a colour tape pack and have go.

£5 for the servos
Attachments:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #6981 by
Hi Kevin,

Thanks... I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands if your sure you no longer want it. Are you saying the servos are £5, or I can get some servos for £5?

Hi Phil and Adrian,

Have fun tomorrow, alas I'm not going to be able to make it, it would have been great to take you up on your kind offers to try your various wings. Thanks also for your suggestions and thoughts on the various wings I was thinking about. Hopefully I'll be able to join you one day and see what all the fuss is about ;)

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.397 seconds