Hitec HS-485HB failure - apparently lots of them!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #343 by
So on Saturday after less than 20 minutes flying I had my first servo failure on the rudder with my new Seagull Yak, it appears my choice of servos are a hot topic in various forums as countless others have had multiple failures with disastrous results!

Has anyone within WMAC used and had issues with the same servo? Since buying them I see there is now a warning not to use them with gas powered aircraft.....am feeling somewhat nervous for my next few flights!
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #344 by
It may be worth swapping them out as you do need confidence in your equipment. They then could be used is a smaller model

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #345 by MikeSeale
I think Phil is right. It'll cost a bit to replace them but how much is the airframe and motor worth?

Mike
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by MikeSeale.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #347 by
Any recommendations for replacements? I am assuming metal geared? There is a forum post on modelflying dedicated to the Seagull Yak and a chap has calculated the following torque values:

Elevator 2.6 Kg/cm

Aileron 2.8 Kg/cm

Rudder 5.5 Kg/cm

Have found the following that may suit and wont break the bank?

PowerHD 1501MG - spoke to a chap at the ServoShop and these are 17kg/cm @ £16.99 and come highly recommended? Easily £10 cheaper than a premium brand for the same quality.....

Confused.com...............

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #349 by
for a similar size model I was recommended Savox sc-0252 servos by JRL and they seen very good so far and come with quality fittings.

More
10 years 8 months ago #351 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Hitec HS-485HB failure - apparently lots of them!
Petrol models will eat plastic gear servo's through vibration especially when you only have one per surface.I would use at the very least Hitec hs 645 as they have metal gears,but at the end of the day it is never worth skimping on servo's so i would always say get the best you can afford, as you can always use them in your next model.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.482 seconds