Retracts - What is the Story?

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 2 months ago #8146 by Phil Ford
Retracts - What is the Story? was created by Phil Ford
In discussions at Cashmoor on Saturday it is rumoured that Jetcraft and E-flite are no longer producing electric retracts. :unsure: Leaving HK crap retracts to the market!

Is this fact or are there alternatives. Personally I am not keen on air retracts.

Future possible purchases of airframes mean fixed gear models then???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #8148 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Retracts - What is the Story?

PhilF51 wrote: In discussions at Cashmoor on Saturday it is rumoured that Jetcraft and E-flite are no longer producing electric retracts. :unsure: Leaving HK crap retracts to the market!

Is this fact or are there alternatives. Personally I am not keen on air retracts.

Future possible purchases of airframes mean
fixed gear models then???

Phil, I use Electron retracts in all my models now,
more expensive but real quality B)

More
8 years 2 months ago #8152 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Retracts - What is the Story?
Are the JP units available? They certainly look very similar if not identical to the Jetcraft units at a similar price point too.

Those Electron retracts look nice, but again, they are expensive if you're putting them in a model where all other items together cost less than retracts alone.

It will be interesting to see how the cheap HK units work. I got a trike set last year and the mains worked fine, but the nose leg failed after a few goes. Going for a non-steering nose leg would allow the use of a main leg in the nose too, which is what Chris is planning to do, I think. I really hope they work because I'm building on a really tight budget these days and find it hard to justify £200 on one item

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #8204 by
Replied by on topic Retracts - What is the Story?
Here you go Phil, my initial experience with the cheap Hobby King retracts, and today's fun with fibreglass:

scratchbuild.wordpress.com/2016/03/05/retracts-part-1/

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #8207 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Retracts - What is the Story?
Glad to see they have metal trunions ;) But they look identical to the Retracts found in my FMS & Century big foamie warbirds. On a less than perfect landing one retract casing was forced open and the trunion dropped out. Bah! Broken prop and a few dents in wing.

Not to put you off Chris but I hope these stand up to the test of time. ;)

Pictured is the one from the Dago Red Mustang being replaced by EFlites. Only the mounting holes were slightly different but elongating the holes made a it a direct swap.
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
8 years 2 months ago #8210 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Retracts - What is the Story?
Good to see that progress is being made.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.487 seconds