Super Chipmunk 30cc

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 4 weeks ago #4120 by Phil Ford
Super Chipmunk 30cc was created by Phil Ford
Some time during the Summer I will be confined to house so I am considering that I would like to start building an Apache Aviation Super Chipmunk, just like the one I already have. That way I can build in my mods, supe it up, navigation lights, fully sheeted wings, etc, from the start. These kits are extremely sturdy models.

I have never built from kit before so hoping someone would give me some guidance. I suppose I'll have to get a nice flat surface to work on (mdf), little clamps and god knows what else.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #4125 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Super Chipmunk 30cc
Nice model Phil
I built the exact same for a guy a couple of years back.I ended up doing the test flight's aswell and it was a nice capable model. I seem to remember that the construction in some area's was well over the top,the wing especially and I changed quite a fee things.
Also the wood selection in the kit was not the best very dense and heavy so I changed some of it,but saying that a nice kit to build

Pete

More
9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #4135 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Super Chipmunk 30cc
Phil. MDF is heavy and not warp free. I use a cheap internal door (well, three actually) to make my workbenches

B&Q internal doors

They are now fixed in place but I have built many models on the doors simply propped on top of a couple of saw horses

Screwfix

If you need to have a surface for planting pins, you could simply glue some cork tiles to one side of the door.

Regards
Mike
Last edit: 9 years 4 weeks ago by MikeSeale.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #4137 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Super Chipmunk 30cc
Agree with mikes suggestion to use plain internal door as a building base but I use 9mm SUNDEALA (or pinboard) for the building surface. - available from Jewsons / Travis Perkins

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #4138 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Super Chipmunk 30cc
Thanks for your suggestions Guys. Pete, the Apache kits and cutting tools were sold to SLEC two years ago so the buyer may have changed a few items. Where was the wood less than ideal? Yes, the wings are sturdy and the firewall too. I find it a pleasure to fly when I do get it out. ;) My present one is powered by ASP 180 four stroke turning a Biela 18x8 prop. Sounds like a lawn mower... :lol:

I suppose I'll need some clamps, how many? Lot's judging by photo below.. i have a sturdy 6 ft fold out table so maybe just a pin board surface needed?
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 4 weeks ago by Phil Ford.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #4140 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Super Chipmunk 30cc
I use a couple of doors laid over old kitchen unit bases with an off-cut of plaster board on top. The plasterboard is flat,takes pins easily and is easily replaced when worn out. I have used the SLEC building jig which is quite effective although the clamps are plastic and a bit waffy. You might consider getting a balsa stripper so you can make your own strip wood when replacing kit parts. Lego bricks can be useful for setting wing ribs upright, other than that get clamps, clamps and more clamps!

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.505 seconds