• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #8186 by Phil Ford
Curare EP Resurrection was created by Phil Ford
Created a new category for those in despair :lol:

Well finally got the poor airframe out of the van and to take a closer look. The film covering is very heavy grade, twice the thickness of Oracover / Profilm. Which is probably holding one half to the other!

Not sure when I can get round to sorting it out. But if I have some idea on where to start then may speed things up. Like DIY, you have to have the right mind set before attacking it otherwise..........well you know what happens. ;)

Not attempted anything on this scale before so where does one start?

I am thinking carefully cut film away from the damaged area all round giving access to the wood. Looks like I will have make up some formers to support servo tray each end and the snakes. Cut-n-Copy some ply fuselage sides as per the good side. Make up a new forward wing locating panel.

Jump in with suggestions please...
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #8189 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Curare EP Resurrection
Can I suggest you rename the topic - Curare Resurrection.

It's a tough call deciding how to repair a model like this. You could remove the covering and replace sections and formers back to good wood where you can splice it together. This is best practice and is what Jon is doing in his repair thread. However, it is much easier to just line up the splintered pieces and fix them with thin CA. Sand smooth and recover as necessary. A good application of the sanding block and covering iron and no one will know which method you have used. I'd do the later and have this model flying again next weeken

More
8 years 1 month ago #8190 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Curare EP Resurrection
Much better title, Phil. Now you've got no excuses!!

More
8 years 1 month ago #8191 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Curare EP Resurrection

MikeSeale wrote: .....However, it is much easier to just line up the splintered pieces and fix them with thin CA. Sand smooth and recover as necessary

This is what I did to my Sukhoi when Steve flew into it ;). Make sure you do a good job of sanding back before recovering.

My impressivo requires the same approach... Much more of a puzzle though!

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #8194 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Curare EP Resurrection
Being to cold and windy to fly today I had a decent look at the Fuselage. The fuselage stringers and skin has splintered between F3 & F4 mainly just after the wing seat. I find surprisingly to me anyway :unsure: that the 2mm ply sides end just after F3 (which is the servo tray rear support and snake holder). That leaves the skin and runners only until F5! Surely that is a weak point. Looking at plans of similar aircraft the fuselage sides and continuous. in one form or another from F1 to the tail end.

Anyway, I will order some lite-ply to make up new formers F2 (which is also the forward wing dowel mount), and F3. Balsa runners to drop in where missing/broke. I will cut out some lite-ply to fit in between F3 & F4, that should beef it up and help in making the fuselage straight again. Well, that's the plan anyway! ;)

Skin? I measured it at 2mm. Is this standard? The stringers are 5mm 0r 6/32ins. Fuselage ply side panels are measuring 2.5mm.

Footnote: Formers? Lite-ply or birch?
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Phil Ford.

More
8 years 1 month ago #8195 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Curare EP Resurrection
The formers and internal structure will be birch ply Phil, not light ply.

I wouldn't add too much additional ply, I am sure the original structure was strong enough, no (wooden) model is designed to not break on impact!

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds