Scratch Building a Mercury Marlin

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #15884 by Brian
Scratch Building a Mercury Marlin was created by Brian
I was having a rare attempt at tidying my aeromodelling paperwork. The shed wasn't just cold, it was snowed in. I couldn't solder up some battery terminals indoors, only because I've a thing about LiPos turning themselves, without warning, into something hot and nasty. So I rummaged through an accumulation of old articles from magazines, tatty old plans barely discernible on yellowed paper, and too fragile to use. Then I found a big buff envelope with a readable plan of a Mercury Marlin in it. I never built the model years ago as I never got hold of a suitable engine. The plan sat in the envelope, completely forgotten. Fast forward to 2013 when i was given a box of "old junk" from the estate of a late model flyer. The "old junk" consisted of tins and small jars holding a bewildering assortment of screws nuts and washers, mostly rusted into lumps. Wrapped in oily rag were two engines, a boxed (with all papers) Mills 1.3 Mk2, and an unwrapped Elfin 1.8. I thought perhaps the Elfin might be used in a suitable C/L model, if I ever got round to building one. It wasn't until the plan turned up last week that I remembered the Elfin. No doubt that without the snow which prompted my "tidy up". This little model would never have been started. It took quite a time transferring the shapes to balsa sheet, but its rewarding starting from scratch,
I'm cheating a bit by copying bits of the plan on my HP Scanjet, and I'm cheating by using a balsa knife rather than a single edge razor blade, aliphatic glue rather than balsa cement and a Perma Grit sanding block rather than sandpaper wrapped round a piece of wood.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #15886 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Scratch Building a Mercury Marlin
My God Brian, that takes me back, I built a Marlin when I was about 14, a very handsome airframe, elliptical wing (just like a Spitfire in a small schoolboy's mind), powered by an Elfin 1.8. It was my pride and joy I'd love to do another just for old time's sake. My Elfin was stolen from the apprentices modelling room along with quite a collection of my other engines when I was "serving my time" at Bristol Aero engines 1954 - 19959. From memory - Amco .87, ED Bee, ED 2.49, Elfins 1.8 and 2.49, Frog 100, Frog 500 - my first glow motor -, 2 * Mills 1.3 and a .75 - what would that lot be worth now?
I made a slight change to the plans adding coupled inverse flaps, it would "loop on a sixpence" (for the uninitiated - flaps operating in opposition to elevator)

If I built one now I'd cheat too - Profilm covering rather than the blue parachute nylon with which my Marlin was covered.! I wonder if Carbon Copy would make us a canopy for it.

The Elfin 1.8 also powered my unlimited see pic - no laughing please.
Attachments:

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #15887 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Scratch Building a Mercury Marlin
Good to know that the model is familiar David. I don't know if I can manage it but I'm going to make a canopy from a plastic bottle. Last one I made was for a KK Skystreak 40
but that's another story!. I'm modifying the top of the fuselage to accept a "bubble" canopy, much easier to plank too. Your engine list more or less matched mine. The most awkward engine at the time was my Frog 160 Red Glow. Once started it went very well, but starting was always a problem with it. Recently I sold my original Amco .87, the proceeds will keep my models going for most of 2018. Don't think the Elfin would have been quite so popular with the bidders. I wouldn't laugh at you with the Unlimited, at that time, I too wore "roomy" trousers......... with huge turn-ups. I used to keep them under control by wearing cycle clips. Showed off my yellow socks a treat! Want the plan when I've finished the build?
The following user(s) said Thank You: DavidTappin

More
6 years 1 month ago #15888 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Scratch Building a Mercury Marlin
Yes please the plan would be great (so would a set of parts when you start cutting them out!)

I have an early OS40 Four stroke, it should fit the Marlin nicely. My only problem will be finding someone to fly it, one of the problems with old age is the "three laps and all fall down" syndrome. I'd be ok with a combat model - just flying continuous 8's!

More
6 years 1 month ago #15889 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Scratch Building a Mercury Marlin
Worth looking at this website www.model-plans.co.uk
The guy running it has around 40,000 files Inc the Marlin & may be able to supply a parts kit.
Colin
The following user(s) said Thank You: DavidTappin, Brian

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #15898 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Scratch Building a Mercury Marlin
Thanks Colin, I think that's where I found the Marlin plan. Don't remember the cost but it seemed reasonable at the time. I did have some fun with the chap that runs the website. I bought a "genuine" KK Skystreak 40 plan and print-wood patterns. When the plans arrived, the main drawing was a re-drawn copy, and the print-wood was a crude hand traced affair, all wobbly lines and not very accurate either. After some haggling I ended up with a copy of Bill Dean's original plan, and copies of the actual print-wood taken from photos of the real thing. The whole business must've cost the poor chap quite a lot of money in the end.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds