My next jet project

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
8 years 3 months ago #7779 by flyingpete
My next jet project was created by flyingpete
With the vampire nearing completion and one more build to do for a fellow club member it's time to think of my own next project.
Hopefully i will be settled in my new workshop in a few weeks time to finish the vampire and start the build for our clubmate, i will let him chip in to reveal his identity!!
Over the past six weeks or so i have scaled up a drawing of a hawker hunter to give me a 1/6 scale model which will give a wingspan of 68"/fuzz length of 93" and a flying weight of approximately 11.0Kg.
I have had the plan put on a cad file and this is now with a kit cutting company for them to produce a short kit so all the hard work of cutting out is done for me :(
I plan to use a turbine of around 10/12Kg of thrust which will give a good weight to power ratio and a fuel tank capacity of approximately 4Ltr's.
As with the panther i have had to add more strength in the wing spars/tailplane and fin and undercarriage area's and the model will be fully sheeted with med 1/8 balsa aand glass cloth finish.
The hunter will be well suited to the cashmoor conditions with its wide track undercarriage and very forgiving nature.
Anyway as i said, this will only happen after the other two projects are out the way B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #7780 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic My next jet project
Good choice Pete!

This is the same size as the wood Hawk which Traplet had designed by Shane Harding, the canopy and U/C gear could be useful for your project. That model was designed for EDF but quite a few have been strengthened for turbines and fly very nicely. See:

gb.trapletshop.com/hawker-hunter-68

We'll all be looking forward to seeing your plans (and the finished product in a month or so!)

David
The following user(s) said Thank You: flyingpete

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
8 years 3 months ago #7781 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic My next jet project
David, I went for a 1/6 scale version as Mick Reeves supplys a canopy and scale retracts for the hunter which would save me numerous hours of head scratching of how i would be able to fabricate these parts. I am aware of Shane Hardings edf hunter but i have never scaled up a drawing before and thought it would be good project to see how things worked out.
Thanks for the info anyway

Pete

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago #7782 by
Replied by on topic My next jet project
Miss demeanour paint job?!

More
8 years 3 months ago #7783 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic My next jet project

chris.m wrote: Miss demeanour paint job?!

Ha, that was my thought when I read Pete's initial post. I'd love to see that done.

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #7784 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic My next jet project

chris.m wrote: Miss demeanour paint job?!

You beat me to it Chris i was leaving that as a surprise B) Miss demeanour has been my favourite colour scheme for years and a smaller version will be at cashmoor soon :woohoo:
I know the scheme caused a bit of a stir with the scale jet die hards when it was first done, but i think it's fantastic for the hunter
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by flyingpete. Reason: Text

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds