Ultra Flash Fibreglass repair

  • JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
31 Oct 2018 13:47 #18202 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Ultra Flash Fibreglass repair

kevinross wrote: Ouch !

The repair looks fairly light I understand there was some Pb in the nose. Just wondered if these aircraft are c of g sensitive and would you plan to rebalance the model statically before flight or "suck it and see"


I will recheck the cg before flight, but don't expect it to be very different, most of the filler will be rubbed off before painting, so it won't add much weight.

I will put the original lead back in. I wanted to try moving the cg forward a little anyway, so the added weight will help with that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevinross

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2018 14:58 #18205 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Ultra Flash Fibreglass repair
Jon - Sorry to read of your incident, the nose acting as a crumple zone no doubt prevented
more serious damage.
I like the cleaver way you have repaired the nose, sadly the bank will claim other models.
Colin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
31 Oct 2018 16:01 #18209 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Ultra Flash Fibreglass repair
Thanks Colin, I'm afraid you're right, I don't think I'll be the last victim unfortunately

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Nov 2018 15:02 #18260 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Ultra Flash Fibreglass repair
Slow progress over the past couple of weeks due to DIY :( but back on it and things starting to look a lot better.

After lots of filling/rubbing down/filling repeats, it was starting to look better, I used a sanding block and wet and dry to rub down as this will take the high spots off. When you get to the point that it seems quite good, a useful tip is to give it a coat of primer, or in this case primer filler, then rub down again, the filler being a different colour will reveal any existing low spots

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Nov 2018 15:05 #18261 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Ultra Flash Fibreglass repair
While i was at it I also repaired the noseleg opening as it was slightly damaged by the previous owner, I am planning to put doors on it so this needed doing, bit of glass and epoxy followed by filler sorted this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Nov 2018 15:07 #18262 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Ultra Flash Fibreglass repair
Although only one wingtip was damaged it the accident, the other had been badly scuffed underneath before I got it, so I have repaired both

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Nov 2018 15:14 #18263 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Ultra Flash Fibreglass repair
So this week I have managed to get some paint onto it, so far white, purple and black are done, next is the silver and then lacquer.

So far I'm pretty pleased as the paint match is good enough, the Purple is very slightly darker, but by painting whole blocks, this isn't really noticable. The outside chequer on the underside of the wing is the new colour, but if you didn't know, I don't think you'd see the difference.

The black and white have blended perfectly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Nov 2018 15:16 - 13 Nov 2018 15:17 #18264 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Ultra Flash Fibreglass repair
Wing.

Excuse the state of the shed floor, masking and cleaning materials everywhere!!

If the rest of the painting goes well, she'll be back in the air very soon.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2018 15:17 by JonTappin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2018 16:28 #18265 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Ultra Flash Fibreglass repair
Excellent job Jon. No-one will ever know. I don't know how you manage to achieve all this in that confined space....;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Nov 2018 18:05 #18266 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Ultra Flash Fibreglass repair
You'd be amazed about all the things that have gone on in that space Phil ;)

All the spraying has been done outside anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.633 seconds