Torque Reaction

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 1 month ago #12129 by
Torque Reaction was created by
I have just had a discussion with a pilot about the direction of torque reaction. Most models have a direct connection between the motor and the propeller so the direction of the torque reaction is opposite to motor/propeller direction.

But what if the direction of the propeller is reversed through a gearset with the motor direction staying the same. Does the torque reaction follow the direction of the prop or the direction of the motor?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #12130 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Torque Reaction
That's an easy one Ron, it's the propeller.

There is also a secondary effect due to the spiral airflow from the prop impinging on the tailplane, some single engined aircraft use an off-set rudder to counteract it. As Wikipedia puts it:

This effect is caused by the slipstream acting upon the tail fin of the aircraft: the slipstream causes the air to rotate around the forward-aft axis of the aircraft, and this air flow exerts a force on the tail fin, pushing it to the right. To counteract this, some aircraft have the front of the fin (vertical stabilizer) slightly offset from the centreline so as to provide an opposing force that cancels out the one produced by the slipstream, albeit only at one particular (usually cruising) speed, an example being the Hawker Hurricane fighter from World War II.

The direction of offset depends on the direction of rotation of the prop, I believe that the Hurricane and Corsair's props rotated in opposite directions so. of course, the tailplane offset differed too. In our models we achieve the same result by adding sidethrust.

More
7 years 1 month ago #12135 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Torque Reaction
David is right, but I'd add that there is a torque effect from the motor. But the prop is a much bigger diameter and has a bigger effect.

It would be interesting to hear from the F3A pilots running counter rotating props. I wonder if the motor torque has any noticeable effect on the model after the prop torque is removed?

More
7 years 1 month ago #12138 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Torque Reaction
Mike - Re Torgue Effect of Motor - We need to direct that question to our Jet Boys.
We have a sizeable mass spinning at very high revs creating a gyroscopic force
In one direction which presumably effects the aerodynamics of the aircraft.
Answer is. ??
Colin
p.s Before David picks it up - could be affect not effect , can never decide which

More
7 years 1 month ago #12142 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Torque Reaction
Thanks, Colin. I'm sure we can get some EFF input.
And it is effect. The model is affected by the effect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds