Twisted Servo Wires

• Chris73
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #14739 by Chris73
Twisted Servo Wires was created by Chris73
Does anybody know the reason why some servo extension leads are twisted??

The reason I ask, is that for my next model I intend to cut the servo lead and solder in extensions so the cables are the correct length. To do this I would need to untwist the cable, so wanted to know why it was twisted in the first place

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #14740 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Twisted Servo Wires
I am lead to believe it was when 35mhz was around that the twists would cancel out stray RF. Some of my Hitec servos still come twisted but never had a problem. Undoing a bit won't hurt. I had to, to replace plugs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris73

More
6 years 4 months ago #14741 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Twisted Servo Wires
Phil is correct. Nowadays there is no need for twisting although three separate wires twisted together will give a neater solution. Next time you're in the container take a look at how I have twisted three wires to make neat charge leads and then imagine what a mess they would be if I had not twisted them.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #14742 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Twisted Servo Wires
It's called "Common mode signal rejection" and ensures that an rf or magnetic wavefront hits all the wires equaly so doesn't get carried along one wire only, affecting the rx or servo as potential noise or interference.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by JRI.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #14743 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Twisted Servo Wires
I have started making my own cables to obtain the optimum length without any intervening additional connectors. It is quite easy after a the first few wasted connectors.
IMHO Twisted wires are easier to crimp than flat cables as with flat cables you are required to get all the pins in the same orientation to the connector holder (otherwise there may be a sharp twist in a strand to get it to fit), whereas with twisted wire the twist in each strand is less dramtic and spread over a longer distance.
I also use 22 AWG Silicone wire as it carries more current with less losses and is less likely to fracture, and the silicone sleeving remains pliable at lower temperatures.
"Solder" I am not so sure about as it introduces a stiffness to the wire which is then more likely to fracture at the edges of the solder joint unless strain relief is also present.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by JRI.

• Chris73
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #14744 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic Twisted Servo Wires
I made my own leads last time, using a crimping tool. Perhaps I need glasses but I found it a real pain :( , and ended up throwing away more connectors than I used

The wires wouldn't be under any tension and would all be secured so they cant move, looking on some of the forums it seems to be common process to solder them?

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds