Apollo glider resurrected- battery question

More
6 years 3 months ago #15254 by Brian
The latest Apollos use a brushless motor and a motor timer/height limiter,but they do retain the seven cell NiMh battery as part of the competition specification. If you aren't going to fly in competitions, the battery and power train aren't important. Enough power to climb to a decent height with enough left over for an emergency power-up,and enough weight to enable the glider to penetrate and get up-wind, with the C of G in the right place, the Apollo will more or less take care of everything else. Component Shop is a good source of 7 cell NiMh packs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15255 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Apollo glider resurrected- battery question
The following are all available in the UK warehouse. They all weigh approximately the same as a 7-cell 2/3 AA NiMH. They have about 2 to 3 times the capacity of the NiMH. The only reason to use NiMH would be if you intended to compete in Chris Hague's 600RES ... and then you'd have to buy a brushless motor and controller anyway.

hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-compact-1800mah-2s-25c-lipo-pack.html

hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-compact-1300mah-2s-25c-lipo-pack.html

hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-compact-2200mah-2s-25c-lipo-pack.html

hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-compact-1500mah-2s-40c-lipo-pack.html

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 3 months ago #15257 by
Thanks very much Mike and Brian.
I'm not intending to fly in Chris's 600 res. Comps so I'll get the suggested lipo. It will be interesting to see how light I can go re battery in view of Brian's intimation that the battery size is needed to assist penetration . Staying up is also important ( talking about gliders ,dear. ), so maybe the lighter the better.
Must be an optimum somewhere.
Cheers and thanks again

More
6 years 3 months ago #15263 by ian sapsed
Replied by ian sapsed on topic Apollo glider resurrected- battery question
I've been flying Peter Kessell's Apollos since just after he designed and built the first one. We started off with brushed motors and heavy NiMh and have since moved onto much lighter brushless motor and LiPo's.

We have had to lengthen the nose by about 1 1/2" to facilitate the lighter motor and obtain the right cofg without adding lead. I have recently been flying mine on a 2S lipo with Chris's standard brushless motor, but with a 9x6 prop, it climbs very well and with the reduction in weight glides superbly.

Just a shame that Pete isn't around anymore to see how much better they fly now.

If anyone is interested I still have some of Pete's old fuselages and wings for sale at very reasonable prices.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15264 by Brian
I'd like an Apollo wing Ian, mine came to a sad end when a model box fell on it. We were looking for a leak in the central heating at the time, the plumber didn't realise there was a glider behind the box.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds