"Running In" new LiPO and "Puffing"

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #16252 by Brian
There seems to be endless advice on the care and maintenance of LiPOs. Recently I read that a new battery should be cycled at least five times before using it in a model.
I charged the new batteries at the recommended rate of 1C, then tried to discharge them at the same rate. "1C" is 2.2A for these batteries. The max discharge rate for the charger is 1.0A. The actual rate of discharge was closer to 300mA, and the charger timed out before the discharge was completed. I don't know how generate a load of 2.2A, so I rigged a Wattmeter into the model's power circuit and opened the throttle until the meter showed approx. 2.2A. Is there a better way of discharging a battery, seems a pity to have to run the motor for five hours for each battery.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #16253 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic "Running In" new LiPO and "Puffing"
Stick it straight in the model and go fly

Just try and be nice to it for the first few cycles and not go below 30% and it should be fine
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #16254 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic "Running In" new LiPO and "Puffing"
Lot's of chargers have a feature called 'regenerative' discharge. This is where the discharge energy is used to recharge your supply battery. This feature is only available if you are using a battery as your power supply...if you use a mains power supply it cannot work.
Some chargers also offer the facility to discharge into a big resistor to dissipate the energy (heat). The resistor is usually very expensive.

But like Chris says, just charge it and fly. The trouble with the internet is that you will ask one question and get 10 answers, often contradicting each other. The solution is to stop believing everything you read...unless it's written by me or Chris!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #16255 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic "Running In" new LiPO and "Puffing"

MikeSeale wrote: .unless it's written by me or Chris!!!

:ohmy:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 2 weeks ago #16258 by

MikeSeale wrote: The solution is to stop believing everything you read...unless it's written by me or Chris!!!

Fantastic, thanks for including me Mike, you know how I like of offer a different opinion....

wimbornemac.org/forums/electric-power/70...storage-voltage#6548

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #16261 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic "Running In" new LiPO and "Puffing"

Chris001 wrote:

MikeSeale wrote: The solution is to stop believing everything you read...unless it's written by me or Chris!!!

Fantastic, thanks for including me Mike, you know how I like of offer a different opinion....

wimbornemac.org/forums/electric-power/70...storage-voltage#6548

I should have been more specific!

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.502 seconds