Dismantling a Ducted Fan

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 10 months ago #16667 by Brian
Dismantling a Ducted Fan was created by Brian
I have a Dr Mad Thrust edf fitted into a Hawk. The unit is not only held in by four screws, it is also firmly glued to the airframe and tail pipe. I need to replace the fan. All I've managed to do is take out the retaining screw in the alloy spinner. The spinner won't budge. I can only grip it with my fingers as access is extremely limited. Does anyone know how to get the spinner off without cutting an access hole in the fuselage?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #16668 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Dismantling a Ducted Fan
Its possible that CA has been applied to the spinner/backplate join. This pic shows a same manufacturer EDF in which I suspect the spinner locates on the backplate shoulder. Suggest you try to fit an oversize screw which jams into the spinner hole and try to wrench it sideways to loosen
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 10 months ago #16669 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Dismantling a Ducted Fan
Thanks for the tip Kevin. The spinner came off when I applied an old but very sharp chisel to the spinner/rotor joint. A very light tap and it popped off without any fuss. The inside of the spinner was coated with some sort of "tacky" glue very thinly applied. Unfortunately I had to get the EDF unit completely out of the fuselage before I could tackle it.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds