Magnets & 2.4 GHz Receivers

• 4Pedalsfly
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 1 month ago #21702 by 4Pedalsfly
Magnets & 2.4 GHz Receivers was created by 4Pedalsfly
The battery hatch on my latest project is held in place by 6mm dia magnets.
I'm now finalising the position of the receiver and am concerned that the relative
proximity of receiver / aerial / magnets my a cause a problem - advice please.

Pic attached.

Thanks

Colin.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #21704 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Magnets & 2.4 GHz Receivers
Static magnets will not have any detremental affect. The proximity of the UBEC to the Rx is a different matter as it uses high frequency switching to chop the voltage!

More
4 years 1 month ago #21705 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Magnets & 2.4 GHz Receivers
I agree with JRI regarding the magnets and would add that the high frequency switching should of the regulator should not be a problem either. High frequency switching used to interfere with 35MHz receivers but Gigahertz receivers will filter lower frequencies as if they are not there.

• 4Pedalsfly
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 1 month ago #21706 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Magnets & 2.4 GHz Receivers
John & Mike - Thanks for your comments I can now fit a tray & "Velcro" the receiver in place.
When using 35MHz I had interference problems with a Twin Otter which was put down to a "Dirty" E.S.C,
replaced one, problem solved.

Colin.

More
4 years 1 month ago #21707 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Magnets & 2.4 GHz Receivers
Mike has far more experience with radio gubbery than I do, but my observation about the UBEC proximity to the Rx is based on the technology of "chopping" dc as part of the process of up/down-volting. If the UBEC does hard switching of the dc then the resulting leading and trailing edges of the chopped waveform can contain a very wide range of harmonics; these can generate electromagnetic radiation or pulses of current that interfere with other nearby circuits, causing noise or errors (hence the ferrite ring usually seen on the output of the UBEC). I am not an authority, just cautious.

More
4 years 1 month ago #21708 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Magnets & 2.4 GHz Receivers
Yes Mike and John. The ferrite ring does the job of suppressing harmonic noise in the lead. always best policy to keep any switching regulators as far away as possible. Some of the upmarket switching regulators do have some filter components. Linear regulators (generally low current/cheap ones) are not normally any problem, they just waste the excess voltage/current as heat. If it was not for the simple ferrite ring we would be fitting another device/circuit board with capacitors and LC filters on the output lead

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds