For Consideration - EP or GP

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 10 months ago #22873 by Phil Ford
For Consideration - EP or GP was created by Phil Ford
I have been mulling this over for a little while. Pilot RC Extra 300 has two twin packs of Turnigy 5 cell lipos 30C. They have not been abused and they are puffing up, (not unusual for Turnigy) but still working and IR is generally low. I looked at quality packs from Gens Ace and similar and each one would be around £90, so in my book that's £360! They would take about 45 - 60mins min to charge as do my Turnigys. They will have a useful life time limit before replacing and probably a lot longer than HKing's efforts.

Now I look at, for instance dropping in an OS GT33 value about £384. Will last a very long time and fuel is cheap. Even allowing for the extras, fuel tank, lines, etc it is not a grand sum more and includes a lot more flights and runtime.

A quandary that only I can answer.....;)

Lipos for larger planes and EDFs have become an expensive item and have seen prices climb by 25% at least in the last year or so.:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #22879 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic For Consideration - EP or GP
There's a third and much cheaper option...just keep using the batteries that you already have.

More
3 years 9 months ago #22880 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic For Consideration - EP or GP
Recently I watched a video of a puffed LiPO being "rescued". I imagine that it would be prudent to wear brown corduroy trousers when attempting the following procedure. Strip the insulation over the terminals, de-solder the puffed cells. The remaining cells can be re-configured, or if you have more than one battery of the same spec. you just might have enough good cells to generate one replacement battery from a couple of duffers (puffers). The Australian gent in the video reckoned that his reconstructed battery was now six months old and still going strong. At around £90 a pop, must be worth a go.
If you have shaky hands......forget it! Might be worth watching some old episodes of Danger...UXB, just to get the feel of doing something really "on the edge". As for me, being a devout coward, I'd need a bench in the middle of an open field and a top spec BD suit, and that's just for starters.

More
3 years 9 months ago #22882 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic For Consideration - EP or GP

Brian wrote: At around £90 a pop, must be worth a go.

I'm sure that you're in the minority with those thoughts.

More
3 years 9 months ago #22883 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic For Consideration - EP or GP
On the subject of purchasing Lipo batteries it is worth noting that if ordering high capacity Lipos from the HK UK warehouse, you will only have the option of a £30 delivery.

However.... same batteries from the EU warehouse - £7 delivery (over certain order value : free)

Just dodged the £30 for the new packs for the T33. (New packs are great - ‘Zippy Compact’ and work particularly well when charged)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #22884 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic For Consideration - EP or GP

MikeSeale wrote:

Brian wrote: At around £90 a pop, must be worth a go.

I'm sure that you're in the minority with those thoughts.

:lol:

I had not noticed that hike in postage Dave. :whistle: That's ruddy Parcelforce - rip off merchants. They were fine with Lipos for years. I think Hermes are not to fussed though. I was looking at Zippys from EU only because they had some instock but I also wanted a pack of XT60 which they did not have so deleted basket. EU deliveries are only an extra day usually too. Got my XT60s from Andy W and a Falcon prop. Cost of phone and collect, fuel used is less than a 1st class tracked stamp. Trying to support local.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds