Curare GP - EP

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 3 months ago #25492 by Phil Ford
Curare GP - EP was created by Phil Ford
I had plans to sell all my glow models including the much favoured Curare. When I mentioned it to my "boss" surprisingly she said, "you love that plane, are you sure?" That had me thinking. No I will keep it and convert it to electric. Checked on Modellsport Austria that a spare cowl was available. Yep! Not ruddy cheap though! Factor in the carriage too. Phew. Oh well I need it. Ordered it.

Within an hour or so I had the engine out and the motor fitted (luckily I kept the adaptor previously supplied with it). A few hours later I get an email from Austria. Vee ar velly sorry, we do not supply to the once great Britain (I put the "once" in for sarcasm) as you are not in the EU and we can't be bothered to do electronic customs. We will refund your payment in about 14 days.

So now I have this - see images below.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #25493 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Curare GP - EP
I'm sure you'll find a way to fill that hole, when its wet and windy you'll be glad of something to do.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #25494 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Curare GP - EP
I don't want wet n windy! Anyway in the meantime it appears to get the CG right the batteries, Lipo and nimh pack will not be in the same place as my other Curare EP. Scratching my head I think it may be because the earlier one had an Eflite Power 60 which is one hell of a lump. The motor I had available is a SK3 5045 660kv which is a lot lighter so the batteries have to move forward. Not as simple though as there not much space in there to juggle things about. But I may have a plan.

With the motor installed and receiver back in I wanted to see what current and power it will draw on 12x8 and then 12x10. The 8 gave me 980 watts and the 12 showed 1150 watts. (54amps) The blast from the prop froze my hand. Flip me!
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
2 years 3 months ago #25496 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Curare GP - EP
Phil,
Don't you have a friend who lives in Europe who will buy it for you? That would make a nice present for you!

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #25499 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Curare GP - EP
I have nephew in Frankfurt David. I had considered contacting him. However, he would have to pay 34 euros + Postage. Then he would have to post it to me. At a wild guess this cowl would cost in the region of £50!

The Austrians are really taking the pi** or hiking on the back of Hanno's name and fame. Imagine you want to buy the Curare and the recommended bit n pieces. Numbers are in Euros. Curare 599 now down to 549. Trike Retracts 198 but now 170. 85 amp ESC 71. 40 series motor 510 kv 120. Equals 910 Euros. :huh: Now factor in 5 decent servos, a couple of decent 4000 maH lipos let's say £270.

Becomes a very expensive model. You could buy a Pilot RC Extra 73 and a engine and maybe a few servos for the same price.

Note that when I bought my first Curare and made it electric the ARF was 330 Euros. 5 Hitec servos. 100amp Hobbywing ESC and Eflite power 60 and I think it came to about 660 all in. The second Curare which i made IC 18 months later I got on a discount sale for 340 Eu. 22Eu P+P
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds