Wots Wot EP (Twice)

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #25955 by Phil Ford
Wots Wot EP (Twice) was created by Phil Ford
My old faithful Wots Wot is being converted back to electric "again". It was originally EP then four stroke glow and now back EP. I had tried to sell the model as ready to fly (if you using DSMX) with the four stroke but no offers or takers. :huh: So, after removing the reliable ASP 80 FS (now up for grabs on the forum) I have made a start on the battery bay. Orignally the Wots Wot was powered by 5 cells (an odd number for me) so this time round it's going to get the 6 cell treatment.

Images show ply battery bay floor, battery tray (temporarily strapped with masking tape), and the tray again with the securing screw hole (slide in and over and tighten up - a slightly different version of the original RipMax battery lockscrew)
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 9 months ago #25958 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Wots Wot EP (Twice)
After finding a new cowl for the Wots Wot on Ebay in gel coat yellow I was able to now re-drill new holes in the firewall to mount the 4Max 5055 595 KV motor on 45mm stand-offs (discovered in the "spares dept" and paired up with a YEP 80 amp ESC also found in my "spares store" Cost so far is for the motor - £61.00. I have lots of motors but not the size and KV I needed.
Attachments:

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 9 months ago #25959 by Phil Ford
With the motor fitted and before final fitting of battery bay I now needed to know how much weight is required for the CG. (4 1/2 inches back from leading edge of top wing) . With the 4000 mah 6 cell pack temporarily in place I refitted the wings. Tail heavy! Balanced the Wots original receiver pack on the top of the rear edge of the cowl and still slightly tail heavy.

Okay, so the receiver pack needed to go inside the fuselage and far up front as practical. Strip wings of again and decided to fit the rx battery on the underside of the battery tray floor up front. Put it all back together again and try again. Still a little tail heavy. Oh well, will have add some weight on to the firewall to get CG.

While the weather has stayed dry lets see what power the motor can do. Using the 6 cell pack which was 50% used I selected a 14 x 8.5 APC. 1400 watts - far to much current, 63 amps. Found a 12 x 8 APC and now 1180 watts, that's better, 54 amps.

I now need to figure out a way of securing the original hatch but it isn't desperate. Now I want to maiden it but now weather is playing Games again. Oh Well!
Attachments:

More
1 year 9 months ago #25962 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Wots Wot EP (Twice)
Phil - Just for interest, what does the model weigh ?
Thanks

Colin

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #25968 by Phil Ford
AUW is 8lbs 2 ozs. Prop is 12 x 8 but may go up to 13 later. Theoretically 135 watts per pound
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

More
1 year 9 months ago #25969 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Wots Wot EP (Twice)
I'm confused - surely if a Wots Wot weighs 8lbs 2oz - that 4lb 1 oz per wot !!

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.352 seconds