Electric WOT4 conversion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #4503 by
Replied by on topic Electric WOT4 conversion
Hi Alex,

Hopefully these pictures will show you better than words can what I did, but this is my first attempt at anything like this so probably not the best approach.

My motor box ended up a little over built and too big to allow the speed controller to be mounted to it and still get the canopy on:

So I've placed the ESC on a shelf under the 'wind shield', 'accessible' by a hatch/air intake from underneath. I wanted to try and get a bit of air flow over the speed controller:

I put in a battery tray, and have just accepted that I'll have to take the wings off to access the battery, it struck me that due to the size of these 3000mAh 6S batteries, I'd have to cut a huge hatch in the airframe and through several formers to be able to get one in or out. And at least I don't need to turn the plane upside down to put a battery in.

I probably went down many wrong roads, but at the time each decision felt well thought out :unsure:

I'm very interested to see what you do, and hope you enjoy flying it soon.

All the best,

Chris
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #4504 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Electric WOT4 conversion
Nice spinner, Chris!!

One further note is that Chris sourced some high voltage hitec digital servos for about £15 each...so he runs them directly from the 2s receiver battery. Seems like a good solution and not too expensive. I'm using low voltage servos (because I already had them) and a separate BEC like Alex.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #4505 by
Glad you like the spinner Mike, the white one has [strike]everything[/strike] nothing to do with the fact that I managed to ream a hole at an angle to the back plate on the black one that came with the kit! I just thought it would look better in white and show off the grass stains better ;)

The servos are Hitec HS-5495BH HV, hopefully a good choice, but only time will tell. I do like the simplicity of the power setup for the servos and receiver.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago #4578 by
I was getting getting a little concerned that the cowl was preventing any the any air flow around the motor, so this morning decided to cut two air intakes into the cowl, and although the motor isn't in the direct flow of the air I'm hoping enough will be moving past to aid in the cooling. If nothing else I can now stick my finger in and see if it's hot to the touch.

I hope your conversion is going okay Alex.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago #4638 by
That looks good - I might "borrow" that one.

Mine has slowed to a crawl unfortunately - Other stuff getting in the way. Should be back on it next week tho.

Alex.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago #4640 by
It flew four times on Wednesday evening, and the motor came down warm to the touch.

I'm limiting my flying to about 5-6min per flight, that way I still have concentration left for the landings and plenty of power in reserve if I need to go around again, and again. This is conveniently binging the batteries down to about storage voltage.

Having to take the wing off each time to change the battery is a bit of a pain and I wish I spent longer looking for a way to put a battery hatch in. The other thing, a slight aesthetic niggle, is that I made the motor box depth to give me the 100mm distance (from the manual) between the original firewall to the front of the prop adapter, but this has left me a larger gap between the spinner and cowl than I would have liked. But this could easily have been down to my measuring.

Hope to see you flying yours soon Alex

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds