Lipo battery

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #5210 by
Lipo battery was created by
Help I have a lipo battery which expands when used it seems like gas when it cools it's fine ( I'm not happy with it) 2 questions first is it safe second if it's not how do I dispose of it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #5211 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Lipo battery
IMHO, all LiPo's will do this eventually. How soon depends on how well you treat them in terms of charging, storage and discharging. When they start to go most of us will probably continue to use them for a while and we make our own decision as to when 'enough is enough. Sounds like you've reached that point!

For disposal. Fill a bucket with enough water to cover the battery and add a good amount of salt. Then add the battery and leave it there for several days. When you're done, the battery can be thrown away in the domestic waste and the water is also safe to pour down the sink.

Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 9 months ago #5213 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Lipo battery

MikeSeale wrote: IMHO, all LiPo's will do this eventually. How soon depends on how well you treat them in terms of charging, storage and discharging. When they start to go most of us will probably continue to use them for a while and we make our own decision as to when 'enough is enough. Sounds like you've reached that point!

For disposal. Fill a bucket with enough water to cover the battery and add a good amount of salt. Then add the battery and leave it there for several days. When you're done, the battery can be thrown away in the domestic waste and the water is also safe to pour down the sink.

Mike

Chris - When discharged I always cut the power & balance leads off - can come in handy later.
I dispose of mine at Milhams Tip where they have a large metal container for batteries.
Colin. A

More
8 years 9 months ago #5216 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Lipo battery

4Pedalsfly wrote: When discharged I always cut the power & balance leads off - can come in handy later.
I dispose of mine at Milhams Tip where they have a large metal container for batteries.
Colin. A

I would not recommend cutting off the connectors if you're going to throw them in a metal container!...unless you have already discharged it completely in salt water.

• Phil Ford
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 9 months ago #5219 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Lipo battery

christopher wrote: Help I have a lipo battery which expands when used it seems like gas when it cools it's fine ( I'm not happy with it) 2 questions first is it safe second if it's not how do I dispose of it

As Mike says, they all do it eventually. When they don't fit in the bay anymore or power is down you'll know. That's the time to replace. Some I have treated badly and they have not expanded. On the other hand, some handled with tender loving care and last five flights then fatten up.... :lol:

Salt water discharge? LiPos in submarines a no go then? Maybe that's the Russian submariner's problem. :silly:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.492 seconds