Burnt Out Motor

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #6277 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Burnt Out Motor
Chris, I am assuming that you pre-programmed the ESC before actually using it to fly. It may work without making settings changes on the bench but in flight that is a different matter. There are at least 6 settings to check. General order is: Brake on/off, cell type, number of cells/auto check, power down voltages, start up, etc. etc.

This has been mentioned in this thread before but - overheating motor? timing not suitable for motor or to high (in other words like gas engines, too far advanced. High timing can give increase in power but at a cost, eg heat. Usually default settings on most ESC is "middle" but that could be 12 deg or 15 deg depending on maker. Do you have a programming card which is the easiest to use but programming can be done by the TX throttle stick. I am sure somewhere I read some time ago that AXI motors don't like high timing settings. I do know that the AXI 4120/18 like low timing. Check the ESC settings before connecting to motor with out prop on!

I have cards to program Turnigy, Hobbywing, YEP, Black Mantis ESCs. Probably one of them is compatible with what you have.

My preference is use an ESC with 25% minimum capacity over and above what I am likely to ever demand. ;)
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chris73
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 7 months ago #6279 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic Burnt Out Motor
I think the safest option is to wait for the new motor to arrive and then ask one you kind people to check it for me before I fly again

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #6280 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Burnt Out Motor

Chris73 wrote: I think the safest option is to wait for the new motor to arrive and then ask one you kind people to check it for me before I fly again

Good bet! ;)

I was not condemning AXI motors, they are supposed to be good, but for the size motor you are using - £90+. Would have to be a serious model for me to drop that in :( Their outrunners are made under contract in China but apparently the Inrunners are still made in Czech.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.387 seconds