Spark damage...and prevention

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #8434 by MikeSeale
Spark damage...and prevention was created by MikeSeale
A couple of weeks ago I was prevented from flying "one last time" because my 4mm bullet connectors sparked so much that they damaged the end of the connector on the ESC enough to stop me connecting another battery. I replaced all my connectors with shiny new ones and went flying yesterday. The first battery sparked and damaged the connector again, preventing any flights with that model. I need a way to prevent that spark...

I've added a 2mm female connector to the negative lead of my ESC. I've then made a harness that has a 2mm male connector on one end, a crocodile clip on the other, and a resistor inbetween. The resistor is much bigger than needed, but it is one I had. I'm sure that any 1/4 watt resistor of about 10 ohms will do the job. I'm sure I've got a load of small resistors somewhere, but could not find them.

To make the connection without a spark you need to connect the positive battery lead to your ESC first. Then connect the harness with the 2mm plug and the other end to the 4mm male on the battery. Now slide the male into the ESC female before removing the crocodile clip. No more sparks and long life to my connectors.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #8435 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Spark damage...and prevention
And here's what the damaged connectors look like. Top is from a couple of weeks ago. Middle is from yesterday...just one spark did this. Bottom is what they should look like.
Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #8438 by
Replied by on topic Spark damage...and prevention
Hi Mike, Sounds like a DIY version of the jeti anti spark connectors, it seems a little odd that it's suddenly become an issue when you've been putting in hundreds of flights on the Blue Angel without issue. I'm just wondering if you're using a new batch of connectors and the metals not as good?
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #8439 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Spark damage...and prevention

Chris001 wrote: I'm just wondering if you're using a new batch of connectors and the metals not as good?

My thoughts too! I have never had an issue as Mike has described or in other words had to replace connectors because of burns. Maybe have a multimeter set for DC current and monitor initial current as ESC loads up. I would've thought no more than an amp or two. Only a guess as I have not run this test myself yet or needed to.

Footnote. Virtually all my connectors in what ever type are all Hobbykings'
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Phil Ford.

More
8 years 1 month ago #8442 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Spark damage...and prevention
Hobbyking have a lower cost solution to Jeti also available from bang good in China
www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__61...tor_2pairs_bag_.html

More
8 years 1 month ago #8445 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Spark damage...and prevention
Interesting to read of Mike's experience it does seem strange that the problem has just arisen.
I am using 3 & 4 cell LiPo's with 4 mm bullets , the "little" spark not being strong enough to do any damage.
I'm assuming Mike is 6 cells, so how do guys with 8,10 & 12 cell setups cope ?
Colin. A

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds