Spark damage...and prevention

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago #8447 by
Replied by on topic Spark damage...and prevention
I expect the arc comes from the inrush current into the ESC Input capacitors. Maybe Mikes speed controllers have higher value/quality caps fitted.
His resistor pre-charges the caps to reduce the inrush current when connecting the power proper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #8448 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Spark damage...and prevention
I've been using 2 different10s setups in my 2m Extra for 4 years and Vanquish for 3, big juicy spark every time I connect, but never needed to change a connector. Makes me wonder if you have an issue with your esc Mike?

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #8451 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Spark damage...and prevention

JonTappin wrote: Makes me wonder if you have an issue with your esc Mike?

I appreciate that it is my ESC. However, the fact that anti-spark connectors are made indicates that I am not the only one experiencing this issue. The fix is simple and completely removes the spark.

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #8452 by MikeSeale

PhilF51 wrote: My thoughts too! I have never had an issue as Mike has described or in other words had to replace connectors because of burns. Maybe have a multimeter set for DC current and monitor initial current as ESC loads up. I would've thought no more than an amp or two.

You'd need a 'scope to measure the current...it is such a short spike and a multimeter would not be able to detect if fully. My guess is that we're talking several hundred amps for a millisecond or so

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #8453 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Spark damage...and prevention

MikeSeale wrote:

JonTappin wrote: Makes me wonder if you have an issue with your esc Mike?

I appreciate that it is my ESC. However, the fact that anti-spark connectors are made indicates that I am not the only one experiencing this issue. The fix is simple and completely removes the spark.

I understand that, my concern was that your spark is doing so much damage to the connector, I'm not sure that is normal. Also if I understand correctly, it has just started doing this recently.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by JonTappin.

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #8454 by MikeSeale
The ESC is the same type (EMAX Simon Series 80A) that I have in the Blue Angel, but not the same ESC. This new ESC has sparked a lot since new...perhaps the first spark damaged a component in the PCB and subsequent sparks have made it worse. Once it is connected it seems to run fine...

...however, it does seem to take a long time getting to the arming sequence. I've got a spare so will swap it over and see if it makes a difference. But I'll make the anti-spark modification because this only has to be soldered once instead of regularly replacing connectors

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds