The B Test Thread

• JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #8492 by JonTappin
The B Test Thread was created by JonTappin
Now we have our first successful B test pass through your club examiners, well done to Chris Hughes :) I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread specifically for discussion and questions relating to the BMFA B test.

For those members who do not know, Steve Morris and myself are the WMAC BMFA examiners, we put ourselves up for it, only with the intention of assisting club members.

If anyone has any questions or comments, or wants to register their interest in taking their B, then this is the place to do it.

So who's up for it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #8493 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic The B Test Thread
Herewith is a straightforward and efficient schedule for performing the 'B' in the prevailing westerly wind at Cashmoor. I suggest building up your skills by learning the individual manoeuvres and then putting them together into a single flight (approx 6 minutes). Note that a caller is permitted and recommended when practising and performing the full schedule.

Attachments:

More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #8499 by Dave Rogers
Replied by Dave Rogers on topic The B Test Thread
I'm gonna get in the frame of mind finally and practise every opportunity!

I'll have to do A first I guess
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by Dave Rogers.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #8500 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic The B Test Thread

Dave Rogers wrote: I'm gonna get in the frame of mind finally and practise every opportunity!

I'll have to do A first I guess

Dave, I think you can do both together. This is an extract from the 2016 BMFA Guidance notes:

"A candidate wishing to take the ‘B’ must already have passed the ‘A’ in that discipline.
However where a candidate presents for a B test who does not already hold an ‘A’ certificate
it is acceptable for the candidate to complete the flying portion of the ‘A’ test successfully
and then move immediately to the flying portion of the ‘B’ test before attempting the test"

Which, i think, means you can do both A and B in one flight.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #8501 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic The B Test Thread
IMHO, JRI's post about practice and the aresti schedule to go with it make it sound like an onerous task...one that only the best can achieve! The reality is that the manoeuvres required for a B test are fairly simple - it's not an aerobatic competition schedule and the standards are not 10/10 or you fail. Yes, you'll have to use a bit of down elevator on the inverted sections of your rolls, and if you've never tried a spin or a stall turn or a bunt you'll need to try it first. The biggest task will be reading the BMFA handbook and learning a few facts.

Below is the schedule as written in the BMFA handbook

(a) Carry out pre-flight checks as required by the BMFA Safety Codes.
(b) Take off and complete a left (or right) hand circuit and overfly the take-off area.
(c) Fly a ‘figure of eight’ course with the crossover point in front of the pilot, height to be constant. This BMFA Members’ Handbook 2012 Website Edition 62 manoeuvre must be flown more accurately than the similar manoeuvre in the ‘A’ certificate test.
(d) Fly into wind and complete one inside loop.
(e) Fly downwind and complete one outside loop downwards from the top (i.e. a bunt).
(f) Complete two consecutive rolls into wind.
(g) Complete two consecutive rolls downwind using the opposite direction of roll rotation to that used in (f) above.
(h) Complete a stall turn either left or right.
(i) Gain height and perform a three turn spin, the initial heading and the recovery heading must be into wind and the model must fall into the spin (no ‘flick’ spin entry).
(j) Fly a rectangular landing approach and overshoot from below 10 ft. Note that this manoeuvre is an aborted landing, not a low pass.
(k) Fly a rectangular circuit in the opposite direction to that in (j) at a constant height of not more than 40 feet.
(l) Fly a rectangular landing approach and land (wheels to touch within a pre-designated 30 metre boundary).
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by MikeSeale.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #8504 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic The B Test Thread
I would like to have a go at the B this year.
Judging from my attempts on Sunday getting an accurate exit from a 3 turn spin I have much work to do :(

First question(s):
The Schedule talks about loops and rolls being performed into wind or down wind etc. Do we establish a flight-line depending on the wind direction or can we fix a flight-line parallel to the runway and perform loops and rolls crosswind?
Can we choose?
At what point is the flight-line established?
Is the order of maneuvers fixed?

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.302 seconds