Long EZ 160 - Winter Project

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 3 months ago #11501 by Phil Ford
Long EZ 160 - Winter Project was created by Phil Ford
Bough this rare 160 size Long EZ via BMFA classifieds in a fit of "I don't know what" ;) Anyway it had been stripped of all servos and the original engine, an ASP160 twin. Not even the fuel tank existed.

I don't think it has ever been flown due to no fuel residue on fuselage. An ASP160 twin are still available but at over £400 quid :whistle: As I had a known excellent ASP180 FS handy that what this model will get. Now that the hard to get hold of 3 blade, 16 inch pushers have arrived from California (Windsor Propellor Co) I can started to make some progress while the the weather is rubbish.

Aligned and mounted the engine so far this afternoon. The cowl was precut for the twin so on one side the rocker cover protrudes about right, but on the port side I will have to consult a GRP expert to fill in the hole. ;)

Wings and canard elevators now have their respective HV servos fitted and partially linked up. Photos to follow
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #11514 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Long EZ 160 - Winter Project
Now that I am happy that the engine locates fine, I then fitted the throttle cable and brought out the fuel feed and pressure line. AeroKote applied to the firewall. Tank (920cc) now bedded in on rubber and plumbed up. I need some 6 inch heavy duty elastic bands though!

Heavy duty power switch installed. Throttle servo (Futaba 3003) installed and have set up end points. Steering servo (Hitec 325HB) fitted and connected to the steering rod. Steering servo is on Aux 3 which is then mixed to the rudder channel. The canopy is now secured with 3mm machine screws/captured nuts rather than the 2.9mm self tappers previously used. Aargh!

As the Aerokote fumes in our small conservatory have made me start to hallucinate and getting high as a kite, it's time to go sit next to my dearest and watch "mind-numbing" afternoon TV. :(
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #11582 by Phil Ford
Back on this bad boy - dry, mild day so the Long EZ out in the drive to put wings on and see what else I am up against. :unsure: Just when I thought things were coming along nicely then...........

Well where I put the main power switch just fouls the wing leading edge by a 2 millimeter. (Gonna have to move it forward )
2 of the forward wing bolts are not easy to access - might use studs and thumb nuts. Rearmost bolts can be replaced with those winged 6mm nylon wing bolts.

Why does'n the starboard wing not sit tight against the fuselage side? Because it is coming up against the the bulge in the cowl. :( Left wing just gets away with it though. How to get round this? Cut a bit of cowl away? Or modify the inner trailing edge which is a bigger hack?
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
7 years 3 months ago #11586 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Long EZ 160 - Winter Project
Looks good though Phil

More
7 years 3 months ago #11587 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Long EZ 160 - Winter Project
What provision is made for reverse cooling air flow over that 4 stroke heat generator ? - can't help thinking you should have mounted the engine inverted so the head was in direct airflow

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 3 months ago #11589 by Phil Ford

kevinross wrote: What provision is made for reverse cooling air flow over that 4 stroke heat generator ? - can't help thinking you should have mounted the engine inverted so the head was in direct airflow

Kevin, it was ideally designed to run an ASP160 FS twin. (ASP160 not a lot around and a ridiculous price - could get a DLE 40 twin for the money)

The cowl has a big air scoop underneath and side vents.. If you look at the first set of images, the previous owner had cut the cowl for the ASP160. The Long EZ was fitted out once but never flown (the wing issue backs that theory up). So the cowl has plenty of air holes. Too many in fact. I have decided to cut away the offending bit of cowl and the patch it in, the best I can.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.510 seconds