Custom Exhaust DLE55

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11868 by Phil Ford
Custom Exhaust DLE55 was created by Phil Ford
My CAP232 has a polished ally Pitts exhaust that is so tinny, unbaffled and the aircraft is too noisy for our site or any other site in fact. I had planned on sliding in my own baffles into the exit ports but the metal is so thin I think I am wasting my time.

Surfed around for some time for alternatives, however landing back at Just Engines they have emailed me saying they can make one with 1.5mm ally and baffled for around £120. Is this the best bet or is there a commercial one that I may have missed? Just Engine example below: My Pitts wrap around exhaust sits a lot closer than the one pictured though.
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11870 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic Custom Exhaust DLE55
Phil, i think Gas hangar do some inserts to go inside the standard DLE "silencer", or should it be called an amplifier!!

Never used them myself by the have some good reviews

Is there room to put a canister exhaust in the airframe?, £120 seems a lot for a pitts when you could buy an MTW or similar silencer for less than that

• JonTappin
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11871 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Custom Exhaust DLE55
Phil

I have a 50cc JMB can without a home if it's of any use to you.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 2 months ago #11872 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Custom Exhaust DLE55

JonTappin wrote: Phil

I have a 50cc JMB can without a home if it's of any use to you.

Thanks Jon. JMB! , If you have no use for it and it will meet our club "standards" then thank you very much. I think these can were quite heavily built so not "amplifiers" then. If it does the job then you should be due a "monetary credit". :whistle:

A quote from RCMF some years back.
"Had a play the other day with a Comp ARf 2.12 Extra, DL50 on a JMB canister, it was a little windy which might make some of the readings suspect.

With a PT models 23x8 Carbon prop it was giving 86db on the sides and about 92-94 on the front! We also tried a 3W 22x12 which was about the same on the side although about 2db quieter on the front.

We also tried reducing the throttle travel to see where 82db was and if it gives a useable rpm. A couple of issues were that 82db on the side gave enough thrust for the plane to fly, but of course it was still about 86db on the front, it was however, very quiet in the air!! Also just at about the rpm giving 81db the rpms suddenly increase with minimal throttle travel, maybe the tuning of the canister, and the noise meter jumps to about 83/84db.

Conclusions so far; although I have seen posts stating that 82 db is achievable with a 50cc I am yet to be convinced
."
End Quote

Chris, airframe design was before canisters but I had considered hanging one on underneath and to hell with the scale looks as long as it was flyable. ;)

• JonTappin
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11873 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Custom Exhaust DLE55
Hi Phil

It is the JMB M60 front exit as the link below, I will check but I think it is the M. They have a reputation for being one of the quietest cans available as they are made of a slightly thicker Ali than some others. I used to use it on my EF Edge before I put the MVVS in it when I replaced it with an MVVS can.

I had to cut the exit tube to get it in the model but it would be easy to add an extension, otherwise it is in decent nick.

We can discuss credit terms if you want it ;)

www.jmb-brecka.com/en/en-content/front-outlet
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by JonTappin.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11874 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Custom Exhaust DLE55
Um! I think we may have got confused here Jon. The Cap won't take a canister as in your link. It needs a wrap around Pitts style. Just Engines would make it with either twin outs or just a big one with baffles.
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.407 seconds