Four stroke asp 120 issue resolved

• Dave Rogers
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15445 by Dave Rogers
Four stroke asp 120 issue resolved was created by Dave Rogers
Some of you may have noticed for Many weeks now I’ve been trying to get the four stroke on a hanger 9 spitfire to idle and run without the glow starter attached. Many painful hours at home running up in the garden and frustrations up at the field with no joy adjusting low needle etc.

However whilst I was packing up on Sunday at Cashmoor Phil Ford said in the past he had had to raise the fuel supply line above the tank before going down into the carb nipple as it was siphoning fuel into the engine, the engine is mounted up side down and carb nipple facing downwards. So tonight I got a longer fuel tube and did just that. Within 10 mins of adjusting the low end needle I had the motor nicely idling and great pick up with throttle increases.

Just need to hope it’s still behaves when I next visit Cashmoor.

Thought you all should know in case anyone else has an issue.

Well done phil, thanks for the advice! And thanks all who have been trying hard to get it going the last few weeks.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15446 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Four stroke asp 120 issue resolved
Nice one Dave.

Good to see what can be achieved when great minds come together ;)

More
6 years 3 months ago #15447 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Four stroke asp 120 issue resolved
Glad you've got it sorted Dave. If you'd asked me I would have suggested crap in the carb ;)

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #15448 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Four stroke asp 120 issue resolved
Magic stuff Dave. :woohoo: Just got to wait for some decent weather in the future. Keep us posted - video camera ready.;)

I had a similar issue with the ME109 and solved it with that hack. The thing is it takes a bit longer to bring the fuel up from a cold start but once fuel is on the glow it's away.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15449 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Four stroke asp 120 issue resolved

Dave Rogers wrote: Some of you may have noticed for Many weeks now I’ve been trying to get the four stroke on a hanger 9 spitfire to idle and run without the glow starter attached. Many painful hours at home running up in the garden and frustrations up at the field with no joy adjusting low needle etc.

However whilst I was packing up on Sunday at Cashmoor Phil Ford said in the past he had had to raise the fuel supply line above the tank before going down into the carb nipple as it was siphoning fuel into the engine, the engine is mounted up side down and carb nipple facing downwards. So tonight I got a longer fuel tube and did just that. Within 10 mins of adjusting the low end needle I had the motor nicely idling and great pick up with throttle increases.

Just need to hope it’s still behaves when I next visit Cashmoor.

]

Great news Dave and because i came home stinking of its glow fuel, I'm interested in the theory. I think its more correct to say that prior to the change the fuel was flooding the carb by gravity. Now the carb has to work harder to assist syphoning the fuel via this high loop. This is very strange as all attempts to richen and weakening the idle mixture made no difference. - Are you saying this s the ONLY work / change since Sunday. ?

• Dave Rogers
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #15450 by Dave Rogers
Replied by Dave Rogers on topic Four stroke asp 120 issue resolved
Only thing I did, yes Kevin. it ran so much better, then I fiddled with the low needle until it was purring at idle. Job done.

Sorry to hear of you smelling on my account.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Dave Rogers.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds