Glow to Petrol conversion?

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 10 months ago #17024 by Brian
Glow to Petrol conversion? was created by Brian
The engine I'm going to fit into the Hannibal is an OSFS .91 llS-P. It has a fuel pump and a regulator instead of a conventional carburettor. If possible, I'd like to convert the engine to run on petrol. I've been unable to find whether the diaphragm in the regulator can only be used with methanol based fuel. If anyone has converted one of these engines, I'd like to know how it was done.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #17026 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic Glow to Petrol conversion?
Might be worth talking to Just Engines, they do a lot of glow to petrol conversions
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #17027 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Glow to Petrol conversion?
Brian, someone else asked the same question for the same engine and got a lot of positive answers here: www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2...itro-to-gas-ignition Americans asking but apparently the kits are/were in the UK. ;)

I read some of this thread some time ago and came to the conclusion that you need an ignition system rather than running on a glow plug conversion. It's all to do with the mixture ratio as the throttle progresses, although some have done a workaround. Either it works or it don't. (I loved one comment too. "if it works for you then it is good but you only find out if it does when it is in the air" :lol: )
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #17029 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Glow to Petrol conversion?
Thanks Chris, I emailed J'EN some time ago, haven't had a reply yet. I think perhaps they aren't interested.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #17030 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Glow to Petrol conversion?
Thanks for the link Phil, unfortunately my engine is different to a standard OSFS.91, so the link refers to a different engine.

More
5 years 9 months ago #17031 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Glow to Petrol conversion?
I think the conversion work will be extensive as there are many issues.
eg - The seals in the carb & pump may not be Petrol resistant
Changing from Methanol to Petrol means a significant reduction in fuel consumption so it mat not be possible to reduce fuel pump & metering. Another fact that people fail to consider is that reduced fuel thru put means reduced oil thru the engine which means leas heat dissipation leading to overheating The small Evolution 2 stroke petrol motors have to run on a very high oil content because the conrod has plain bearings.

I

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.326 seconds