Creaking Saito

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 8 months ago #17352 by Brian
Creaking Saito was created by Brian
I've started to strip the Saito 125 that I was going to use to power the Hannibal. The engine creaked and was stiff to turn over. In order to get the cylinder off I had to cut down a standard Allen key. The four screws finally let go and I removed the cylinder. The piston was unmarked and the ring was free and undamaged. I took off the piston/con-rod assembly and straight away found the cause of the noise and stiffness. The con-rod, pin and piston are stuck fast, totally impossible to move the piston on the pin with my fingers. The plastic (PTFE?) caps on the pin wouldn't budge. I heated the piston thinking that I might be able to drift out the pin by using a piece of hardwood dowel.and a wood block with a clearance hole in it. I gave the heated assembly an experimental wiggle, but even though very hot it didn't move. I reheated it and there was a sharp cracking sound followed by the sound of something hitting the shed wall. It was one of the PTFE caps. I'm leaving the stuck piston in WD40, a few days might free it up.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #17356 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Creaking Saito
Brian, I have an ultrasound cleaner which I use to unstick things. I put the item (e.g piston assembly) in a jar of kerosene and drop the jar into the water bath of the ultrasound cleaner, apply heat and vibes and the bits usually come loose. You are welcome to try it if you get nowhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 8 months ago #17361 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Creaking Saito
Thank you JRI , if I can't get the pin out with heat and wiggling, I'd like to try your ultrasound kit. So far the pin has been moved about 2mm with a lot of heat and gentle tapping . I had to stop when the torch ran out of gas. I'm hoping that whatever is causing the seize up doesn't damage the mating surfaces, a new piston, pin and con rod costs quite a lot.

More
5 years 8 months ago #17364 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Creaking Saito
Fossilisied castor oil usually, it will soften but give it time!

More
5 years 8 months ago #17365 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Creaking Saito
Brian - If you need new bearings, following company are worth contacting, good prices
and super service :
ARB Bearings - Ferndown Ind Est - tel 07793 290625 - Web www.arbearings.co.uk
Hopefully you will not need their services.
Colin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 8 months ago #17366 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Creaking Saito
Thanks Colin and JRI, the engine is a bit of a mystery, there were rust spots on the crank web and the exhaust valve wouldn't close due to a big flake of rust. I've got most of it off with toothpicks, cotton buds and lots of WD40. The rusting is very odd. One screw holding the cylinder was very rusty the other three were perfect. Three screws holding the back plate were rusty, one was perfect.. Fortunately the cylinder bore and piston are unmarked, and the bearings are clean and turn smoothly. When I stripped the engine I found that the magnet holder on the prop driver hadn't been tightened, and the fixing for the sensor wasn't too good either, In a way its lucky that the engine didn't get fitted, it might have run, but not for long before the ignition system failed.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds