Walbro / Tillotson carb overhaul

• kevinross
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 11 months ago #19490 by kevinross
Walbro / Tillotson carb overhaul was created by kevinross
Due ongoing starting problems on my 3W 70, decided to fully strip the Tillotson carb and for the first time remove the fuel jet Welch Plugs. (no idea why an Irish company uses welsh plugs). There are plenty of You -Tube bodgers out there so this is my method.
- Drilled a prize hole using a centre drill as this limits the breakthrough depth.
- Found a main jet filter screen which is not mentioned in the Tillotson manual which had collected significant "crud" most of which i had cleaned out before taking this pic
- Used the drill press to refit new Irish welch plugs
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #19495 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Walbro / Tillotson carb overhaul
History of the Welch Plug -
According to Nevin Hubbard of the M.D. Hubbard Spring Company, the Welch plug was originally designed in the 1900s by the Welch brothers at the Welch Motor Car Company of Pontiac, Michigan. Hubbard claims that "at that time core holes in the engine blocks were fitted with pipe plugs. During one of these run-ins a pipe plug backed out. In order to get back on the road one of the brothers drove a quarter or half dollar into the hole. From this they developed the Welch plug, some with the help of my great grandfather Martin Hubbard. They then patented the plug and the M.D. Hubbard Spring Company became the sole manufacturer of the Welch plug for the life of the patent."[6]

Colin.A
The following user(s) said Thank You: DavidTappin, kevinross, Brian

• Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 2 months ago #21546 by
Replied by on topic Walbro / Tillotson carb overhaul
Hey Folks

Re Walbro carb rebuild, the carb kits come with what appears to be an extra couple of gaskets.

Not much info readily available on tinternet, found this on a cart racing web site.

Any one got DA or aero specific info that is more relevant?

Thanks in advance.

Phil M
Attachments:

• kevinross
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #21547 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Walbro / Tillotson carb overhaul
hi phil
Think you've downsized the the jpg's a bit too much so see any detail

Its not uncommon for carb kits to contain extra gaskets - As long as you've fit like for like.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 2 months ago #21548 by
Replied by on topic Walbro / Tillotson carb overhaul
Ok I’ll try some bigger files....
Attachments:

More
4 years 2 months ago #21549 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Walbro / Tillotson carb overhaul
Walbro kits usually come with all the gaskets for the different types of 'pumping' options. E.g some are pumped by a pulse from a small orafice connecting the crankcase directly to the carb (built into the inlet flange), and some have an external pipe connecting to a nipple. There are diffent chambers in the pump side of the Walbro to allow a common casting to be for all the different options - and sometimes similar gaskets for different fuels. Just select the gaskets which look most like the ones you removed (in colour and shape) and you will be Ok!
Ps if you are replacing the pop-off needle valve, the little b*st*rd and its spring and fulcrum have a tendency to make a break for it :blink:
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds