OS GT33 Crankshaft

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 1 month ago #21760 by Phil Ford
OS GT33 Crankshaft was created by Phil Ford
New crankshaft turned up this morning! I have stripped the engine down enough to the point off removing the piston gudgeon pin. It's here I think I may need some special tools. To remove blanking plug on cylinder side so i can get the piston out and possibly the crank pin. Just knew it was not going to that easy and my mechanic tools are no good for small stuff.

Second image show the bend in the present crankshaft (only a millimetre or so) ;)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #21761 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic OS GT33 Crankshaft
Phil, I’m not familiar with that particular motor but in the case of other OS engines I’ve owned if you pull out the cylinder liner that will often give you enough clearance between the piston and the crankcase to pull the con rod off the crank pin and release the piston that way, it obviously depends on how thick the liner is. I’m sure that someone more familiar with the bottom end of that motor knows an alternative/better strategy, is the big end a roller or plain bearing?
Looking at the picture of the bend in the crankshaft it could probably have been straightened without dismantling the motor, the crankshaft bearings are usually hard enough that you can pull off that trick without damaging them and, if not, a couple of new bearings cost a lot less than a new crankshaft.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 1 month ago #21762 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic OS GT33 Crankshaft
Thanks David. The bottom of the con-rod is held back by the slotted screw. It is left hand thread so self tightening when in use. I have also got the blanking plug out on the side of the cylinder. The liner has also been slid out. This does not give lateral play to release con-rod from crank. The piston pin accessible though the blanking plug hole is held in with the tiniest of circlips. :( This is what I am up against now plus extracting the piston pin.

Footnote for David. Like the the new avatar. :)

More
4 years 1 month ago #21763 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic OS GT33 Crankshaft
Phil, are you intending on removing the circlip and pulling the gudgeon pin out through the blanking plug hole in the side of the cylinder?
If so I take it you need a pair of needle nose pliers for the circlip and then some some of device to insert into the gudgeon pin center and pull it (or is it threaded?).
What size needle noses do you need, I may be able to help?

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #21764 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic OS GT33 Crankshaft
Thanks John but your a few hours behind or the time it took me to get the circlip out. :( Yep! I had to grind down some old long nose pliers, got the circlip out but a bit deformed . The piston pin is threaded at 5mm so that was the easy bit. Crankshaft replaced, relocate con-rod and fit piston. What a job that was getting the circlip back in even though I had reformed it to it's original shape, an hour and half and three teas later. Next refit liner, another trying experience, not enough ring showing above cylinder block to compress the ring, but done now by firm persuasion. The next tasks took about 10 mins - fit backplate, fit carb block, temporarily fit exhaust (needs a new gasket) it was starting to blow anyway. Engine refitted so I can plan the cowl cuts
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Phil Ford.

More
4 years 1 month ago #21767 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic OS GT33 Crankshaft
Phil you don't need an exhaust gasket, just use some high temp RTV, let it go tacky and then bolt it all together :)

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds