ASP 180 Four Stroke

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #1786 by Phil Ford
ASP 180 Four Stroke was created by Phil Ford
I have a ASP 180 4str, swinging a 17x8 prop, installed in my Super Chipmunk. It runs happily and has quite a few flights BUT! it arrives at max RPM (8300) at half throttle which is rather annoying because after half stick there no nothing. :( The throttle barrel moves fully from idle to fully open so it is not that.

I had a quick discussion up the field with a few members on this issue I would like to resolve. After checking throttle movement it was suggested changing fuel from 5% Nitro 4stroke mix which includes some castor to Content 10 (10% nitro) I have got Optifuel 12% nitro/synthetic oil which is near enough. Albeit, power is not the problem, it pulls like an ox but the throttle.

Any ideas Guys?
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #1794 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic ASP 180 Four Stroke
Sounds like the carb fitted is just not giving a linear response, I wouldn't think there is much you can do to change that.

If it were me I would just set up a throttle curve to produce a linear response. In your case the curve would be very shallow for the first 3/4 of stick movement from idle and up, then the last 1/4 stick movement to full power would be steep. This would produce movement of the barrell from idle to half open over the first 3/4 ish of the stick movement. As long as you end up with a linear response, it really doesn't matter where the barrell is at each stick position.

Hope that makes sense.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 2 weeks ago #1799 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic ASP 180 Four Stroke
Thanks Jon, I will set it up as per your suggestion so it feels linear on the stick.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 week ago #1811 by
Replied by on topic ASP 180 Four Stroke
Hi Phil, Sound like you are reaching max revs and you cant scale the amount of air that you can get through a set size hole in a given time, need to increase load then larger throttle opening will work, increase the nitro will increase the oxygen content of the induced mixture, as air only as 14% oxygen anything that increases that will help, but I would put on a coarser prop and give it a try you can then throttle down for the same speed ,regards Frank

More
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #1813 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic ASP 180 Four Stroke

FrankRobinson wrote: air only as 14% oxygen

Just in case any of our junior members are reading this...air only has 21% oxygen. Make sure you remember this for both your English exam as well as science.
Last edit: 10 years 1 week ago by MikeSeale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveBright

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 week ago #1814 by
Replied by on topic ASP 180 Four Stroke
9 out of 10 again

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.426 seconds