Pilot RC Extra Convert from EP to IC

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #23547 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Pilot RC Extra Convert from EP to IC
Friday - a short break to go to Kevin's place to get the prop drilled out just in case I actually get the chance to run it up over the weekend - weather permitting. After making up a scratch servo mount for the throttle it is now aligned and installed. Found a spare servo mount so modified that one too and after checking rod alignment fitted it opposite the throttle servo. Installed a servo and connected to choke. Both servos have had their travel range adjusted. It works! With the tank temporarily installed it looks as complicated as a " Range Rover" in there.:lol:

The original motor was fairly heavy and so was the twin lipo packs which had to be right up front, so with the servos up front in the IC cersion I am hoping there will be no need for a "church roof" to get it's CG back again.

Footnote: If your interested the GP 38 engine does not use the DLE 30 or DLE35 prop bolt configuration. It is near but not spot on.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #23549 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Pilot RC Extra Convert from EP to IC
Well worth the extra work to put a servo on the choke Phil and as I know from J.J. that this engine carb arrangement is more difficult to link up than a DLE.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by kevinross.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 5 months ago #23551 by Phil Ford

Kevin Ross wrote: Well worth the extra work to put a servo on the choke Phil and as I know from J.J. that this engine carb arrangement is more difficult to link up than a DLE.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they designed the GP38 for the Pilot RC Laser seeing as they are promoting both in their videos.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 5 months ago #23552 by Phil Ford
Ignition installed and fuel system all plumbed up. Job stopped now, waiting on a dry spell so I can get it outside and fit the wings. Then I will get some idea where the lipo packs will go to balance the plane. At present the fuselage is just balanced as it is right now.

Footnote: Great Power ignition modules use 6.6v to 8.4v but voltage must not fall below the 6.6 v when in use. Made for Lipo packs then.;)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevinross

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 5 months ago #23562 by Phil Ford
I was allowed to bring the Extra into the kitchen as the weather is very unsettled and it is "dry - no fuelled". I really wanted know where the batteries were deemed to go to get the C of G right without having to add ballast. With the wings on and the receiver pack on the CG as it was before it was tail heavy. Now place the ignition pack alongside the tank and it just balances. Prop and Spinner weigh 160 gms so stick them on and the nose just drops a little. So, we are close but first flight will tell.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #23565 by Phil Ford
Today, Monday stayed dry so with much anticipation took the extra outside on the grass. Fuel it up and give a whirl. Flicked and flicked and nothing. Fuel in the line so much be not pumping. Squirt some fuel in the carb. Bang and it fired and run till fumes ran out. Did this twice more. Persevere and it started and ran happily at a fast idle. I let tit run for a few minutes and then shut down. After cooling off period got it running again and now increase throttle higher and higher. Runs real nice. I have not touched the needle settings yet but it cannot be far off judging by the way it ran. Spitting with rain now.

Back in doors wondering what to do about the receiver and power switch. The mechanical switch has been fine whilst the plane was electric but now we have vibration to contend with. Lucky for me I had a brand new JR RD22 Power Box with three Sats. Replaced the AR9000 with the RD22. Also added twin lipo packs on the CG line. Bound it and everything working fine. I didn't like the JR fail-safe switch so I modded a DualSky fail-safe switch also known as Pin and Flag. This version lights up when the system is on. I like these because it reminds me to switch off the power after flights.

On reflection, I think that if I had not had the RD22 salted away I would have used Open TX with Frsky Pro receivers and a RB20 Power Bus.

Waiting on the weather now for it's flight so in the meantime back to repairing the Zagi. It's likely to get more use judging by the future windy forecasts.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, kevinross, Brian

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds