Pilot RC Extra Convert from EP to IC

• kevinross
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 6 months ago #23520 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Pilot RC Extra Convert from EP to IC
The member who also bought a GP 38 from probuild had similar problems and had to make longer stand offs to clear the carb. -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #23528 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Pilot RC Extra Convert from EP to IC
Today I have had to nibble the out the fillets internally just enough to allow for the flat washers to sit flat inside the firewall. Then finding I have to cut away a bit more carb hole to allow for throttle/choke linkage exits. Progress is that the engine will fit on the firewall so now I have added some glassing over all the joints. Meanwhile, waiting on the glue to set, make up some servo mountings for the throttle and choke. Unlike my other DLE/OS converts the GP choke cannot be accessed using a rod coming forward into the cowl so it has to be servo operated internally.

I have changed the title to suit the story. ;)
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #23529 by Phil Ford

Kevin Ross wrote: The member who also bought a GP 38 from probuild had similar problems and had to make longer stand offs to clear the carb. -

That may be okay if you can move the cowl forward say 15mm but my Extra's cowl is internally bolted so no adjustment. However, I did check that the prop drive does just clear the cowl. Don't want the prop spinner back-plate stuck out 1/2 inch, :whistle: but if it was short then longer spacers is easy way out.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #23534 by Phil Ford
After a fair bit of Dremel (I mean Parkside - Lidl) cutting and sanding the cowl fits neatly round the engine. Had to lop off 20mm from the muffler pipes to get the cowl.on. Now back on making a servo mount for the throttle which should be fun as a nice line from the throttle lever align with the edge of the tank. That was well thought out GP, having the carb mounted that way down.:dry: The choke control may be even more fun........

I made some fair comments regarding the carb issue and Great Power deleted my post. :huh: Not interested in feedback for new product?
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford. Reason: Added the images

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #23547 by Phil Ford
Friday - a short break to go to Kevin's place to get the prop drilled out just in case I actually get the chance to run it up over the weekend - weather permitting. After making up a scratch servo mount for the throttle it is now aligned and installed. Found a spare servo mount so modified that one too and after checking rod alignment fitted it opposite the throttle servo. Installed a servo and connected to choke. Both servos have had their travel range adjusted. It works! With the tank temporarily installed it looks as complicated as a " Range Rover" in there.:lol:

The original motor was fairly heavy and so was the twin lipo packs which had to be right up front, so with the servos up front in the IC cersion I am hoping there will be no need for a "church roof" to get it's CG back again.

Footnote: If your interested the GP 38 engine does not use the DLE 30 or DLE35 prop bolt configuration. It is near but not spot on.
Attachments:

• kevinross
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #23549 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Pilot RC Extra Convert from EP to IC
Well worth the extra work to put a servo on the choke Phil and as I know from J.J. that this engine carb arrangement is more difficult to link up than a DLE.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by kevinross.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.543 seconds