How old are your Fuel Lines?

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 week 6 days ago - 1 week 6 days ago #26799 by Phil Ford
How old are your Fuel Lines? was created by Phil Ford
Pepsi has been one of my most reliable planes other than wanting to be electric started first thing from cold. Anyway on Sunday 14th April about halfway through my usual flight time the engine cut.  This was after a steep climb and then roll inverted and then back down again at a 45. As I leveled off at about 50 feet the engine had stopped. Not much  WNW headwind but glided down wind a touch and then turned gently as possible aimed for the field at WNW.  I nearly made it back.  However, with the airspeed dropping fast and not much wind and losing any elevator deflection it flopped wings level into the rape right next to the ditch. There it was just sitting there. No damage!  Until we got it back and found the firewall had broken out probably due to the exhaust or prop touching ground first.  Fixable though. But why did it cut out?

Stripping out the engine, tank and tygon lines I noticed that the tank feed was a little stiff rather than flopping about inside.  Um!  When did I last replace the lines or in fact the tank feed tubing?  Cannot remember.  So, I think I will put it down to the fact that after the roll inverted the feed stayed above the fuel level and sucked air.
Must make this an annual job and put a reminder in my diary. That goes for the other gassers too.
Last edit: 1 week 6 days ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevinross, Brian, Major249

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds