CARB PROBLEMS

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago #4080 by
CARB PROBLEMS was created by
I have watched and seen quite a few people having carb problems over the last few days, having spent some of my younger life inthe 50/60 sorting out carb problems on cold airfields I will throw in a few pointers to help people sort things out, as you young guys think Im past it but I think I have a few miles left yet.
1 Has John Tappen said the engines are to new for fine adjustment yet and need a few hours on them
2 Cold weather, the air and petrol mix will freeze around the venturi reducing the size of the choke tube giving lack of throttle response, also the fuel droplets are slow to move and cling to the metal.
3 I noticed that Chris had a velocitity stack on his carb facing to the rear, this in its position in the cowl would cause a depression and give breathing troubles, all sorts of things like this in the cold weather can cause freezing of the carb, ( killed a lot of pilots carb ice, thats why you have a valve to stop it on full size)
4 This unleaded petrol has a shelf life of about 3 months also the lub oil about a year.
There are more things than can be listed here and all effect the engines differently, hope it helps and makes for good thougts and no doubt whats the old bugger on about now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #4081 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic CARB PROBLEMS
On a similar track - I think some fliers lean their engines too much. For general pattern / IMAC type flying, keeping the mixture on the rich side makes more sense if you want to enjoy long engine life.
If you need ultimate performance & instant throttle response optimising the mixture might be necessary but it may come at a cost.

I may have to wipe oil splatters off the bottom fuselage after flying at Cashmoor but my 3W engines are now ITRO 10yrs old and still going strong.

More
9 years 1 month ago #4085 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic CARB PROBLEMS

FrankRobinson wrote: as you young guys think Im past it but I think I have a few miles left yet.

You're far from past it Frank! i for one appreciate all your help and knowledge..... Keep sharing these pearls of wisdom! :)

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds