Calculating Power to Weight Ratio - IC

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 11 months ago #4404 by Phil Ford
Calculating Power to Weight Ratio - IC was created by Phil Ford
I can calculate for electric stuff but looking for petrol engine formula. Have two engines in mind, one developes 5.5hp and the other 4.8hp. The engine is going into a 16lb approx, scale aerobatic plane but not being intended for use in 3D, just general sport stuff. I am hoping the 4.8hp is strong enough.

Maybe not the ideal way to look at it but 4.8hp would be (electrically speaking) 228 watts per pound whereas the 5.5hp would be 261 watts per pound. All this also depends on best prop of course! ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #4406 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Calculating Power to Weight Ratio - IC
Phil, completely off topic but I had to let you know how much I enjoyed your new profile image, only temporary of course but very topical!

Reminds me of my 92 year old cousin who had a hip replacement under epidural anesthesia and, being wide awake throughout her op, claimed that the surgeon's running commentary and all the sawing and hammering which really helped to pass the time!

Have a good rest and a rapid recovery.

David

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 11 months ago #4407 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Calculating Power to Weight Ratio - IC
Thanks David. Just got a call from the hospital at 1800. Admission been put back 5 hours from 0700 to 1200. I think they are trying to string me out... :lol:

More
8 years 11 months ago #4408 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Calculating Power to Weight Ratio - IC
Hope they don't use string Phil - You'd be far better off coming out of hostpital with balls made of stainless steel ! (in your hip joint of course)

But seriously - Hope all goes well. Then when you get out of hospital you might get a sensible answer to your original question.

More
8 years 11 months ago #4409 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Calculating Power to Weight Ratio - IC
Phil - Wishing you all the best for your op and look forward to seeing you back in action.
Regards
Colin.A

More
8 years 11 months ago #4410 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Calculating Power to Weight Ratio - IC
This might be of some help Thrust Calc

Although I haven't used it in anger, feeding in some sample figures for my OS 22 seemed to give believable results.

Top Tip: Check your feet point in the right direction before they sign you off :)

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds