Wots Wot IC Conversion

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #9029 by Phil Ford
Wots Wot IC Conversion was created by Phil Ford
Some of you may have heard me mention the recent Mustang 40 purchase and how under powered it was. With HK's SK3 motors nearly all on Backorder I had to go down the path of cannibalising the Wots Wot power train (SK3 5045 660kv and prop and install into the Muzzie.

Poor ole Wot s Wot! No worries, we will back convert you to IC, a nice 80 four stroke. A bit of bother though within the fuselage and had to use the genuine IC kit as it seems they made their firewall mounting holes different to everyone else and the tank was odd too. :( And of course the usual time consuming cowl cutting but I am quite pleased that the cylinder head does not stick out too far and the exhaust I have managed to get to come out underneath. I have run it in on the 12x6 for now although I had already bench run it using a 11x7 to get it oiled up and bedding in. Then probably fit a 14x6 Xoar.

Now it will sound like a proper biplane......... ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #9030 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Wots Wot IC Conversion
Nice work Phil

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #9039 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Wots Wot IC Conversion
Had the Wots Wot running yesterday (Wednesday) but the revs were going up and down and virtually no idle. Oh No! What's up now because it was running fine on the test bench. Does it not like being horizontal? Jet adjustments did not make any difference. Um! Air leak in tank or fuel lines. Checked Ok! Check out carb. Ah, here is the culprit, the intake manifold gasket. Small hole. Thanks Chang Wong, Friday night job was it? Just Engines do spare gaskets at £1.09 each. The postage would be more than that. :(

Back to the old days when I used to make up carb and thermostat gaskets for cars. Cornflake packet card which is waxed on one side and printed on the other, impress manifold shape in to card and cut out. It will work forever or at least for some time at least. ;) Restart engine and runs happily after resetting all the jets I had twiddled with. :lol: Swings a 14x6 Xoar quite happily
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
7 years 10 months ago #9040 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Wots Wot IC Conversion
How do you know it was Chang Wong?

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 10 months ago #9041 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Wots Wot IC Conversion

DaveBright wrote: How do you know it was Chang Wong?

Because in the box is a QC label with the initials CW so I put two and two together and having previous issues with an air leak on a four stroke manifold with a similar CW label, I'll blame him again :lol: On the other hand CW could be Chinglish for........................?

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds