DIY? SAS Wildthing

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #15366 by Phil Ford
DIY? SAS Wildthing was created by Phil Ford
Can some kind member with a SAS Wildthing 46 take some measurements for me.
1. Width of wing root.
2. Length of fuselage from nose to leading edge of wing
3. Depth of fuselage from underside of wing at thickest point.
4. Width of fuselage at widest point
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15368 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic DIY? SAS Wildthing
Just buy one you tight git !!!

Its a small family run business, copying their designs is how these small company's go bust

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #15369 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic DIY? SAS Wildthing

Chris73 wrote: copying their designs

I am not copying their design thank you very much.;) All I wanted is their dims so I can compare them with MY design of a new Marley Fighter slope version

Maybe I should've titled the post better. Anyway my design will now stay secret until it flashes past your Wildthingy :whistle:

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #15370 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic DIY? SAS Wildthing

PhilF51 wrote:

Chris73 wrote: copying their designs

I am not copying their design thank you very much.;) All I wanted is their dims so I can compare them with MY design of a new Marley Fighter slope version
Maybe I should've titled the post better. Anyway my design will now stay secret until it flashes past your Wildthingy :whistle:

The Russians didn't want to copy the design of the Rolls Royce Nene engine either, they just wanted the dimensions to compare with their very own Klimov VK-1 ! And of course it was was just a coincidence that the Chinese WoPen WP-5 was rather similar too !!!
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by JRI.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15373 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic DIY? SAS Wildthing

PhilF51 wrote: Can some kind member with a SAS Wildthing 46 take some measurements for me.
1. Width of wing root.
2. Length of fuselage from nose to leading edge of wing
3. Depth of fuselage from underside of wing at thickest point.
4. Width of fuselage at widest point

TBH Phil, I would make the fuselage dimensions fit the radio and batteries I was using, with the depth under the wing enough to give a decent grip for launching. Unless you use the same EPP as SAS I suspect you'll want different dimensions any way to balance it out. I can give you the wing root dimensions but it'll have to be in secret so no one will know - actually why not pick a root and tip section yourself and do your own thing entirely.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #15378 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic DIY? SAS Wildthing
I had not kept any workings out on paper or created a story giving dimensions on the web when I built the Marley Wing. But looking around at images I would estimate that the fuselage nose where the battery will likely be for balance is about 40% of the wing root. As you say depth can be judged by what is comfortable to hold to launch.

This time I will keep a record of the dimensions I used, if and when a successful outcome unfolds. Many have said that I am an ARF man. That may be true but creating something yourself, a custom unidentified flying object is quite exciting. You become to realise what the Wright Bros must have felt.:lol:

Before anyone steals my creation it is codenamed "WildCat" Already printed out the wing graphic.
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds