Phase 5 by Chris Foss

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 8 months ago #17475 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Phase 5 by Chris Foss
Another great days flying with the Phase 5. I even managed a rolling circuit!

The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, kevinross, John Bannister, Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 8 months ago #17512 by MikeSeale
Another visit to Chapman's Pool. The lift was even better than the other day. This was with 5oz of ballast and you can see how strong the lift is from the height gained in just the first few seconds.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, Phil Ford, Brian

• Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 8 months ago #17514 by
Replied by on topic Phase 5 by Chris Foss
Looks like a beautiful place to spend some time, with or without a plane, but that looked like a lot of fun, and thanks for including the landing, it seems like a dark art in my limited experience.

5 oz is 140g for us youngsters ;) is that a lot for this size of plane?

have you played with snap flaps? or at the flaps just mirroring the ailerons but with less throw?

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #17516 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Phase 5 by Chris Foss
Most enjoyable, lovely scenery and a masterclass in landing on a slope. Magic! Thanks Mike.
It was good to see proper units for the ballast too. 5oz would have been the margarine ration for a family of four during WW2.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Brian.

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 8 months ago #17518 by MikeSeale

Chris001 wrote: Looks like a beautiful place to spend some time, with or without a plane, but that looked like a lot of fun, and thanks for including the landing, it seems like a dark art in my limited experience.

Landing slopeside is always a little tricky. Crow helps a lot. Being able to land on flatter ground behind the slope helps even more, but doing this at Chapman's Pool is not really an option.

Chris001 wrote: 5 oz is 140g for us youngsters ;) is that a lot for this size of plane?

I weighed it in imperial for RCGroups which is mostly american. My model weighs 1.36kg without ballast and was flying at 1.5kg with ballast. This is not a massive change but it is as much ballast as I've added to date. A modern aerofoil section would definitely take a lot more ballast than the Phase 5 can, but where the limit is I've yet to find out.

Chris001 wrote: have you played with snap flaps? or at the flaps just mirroring the ailerons but with less throw?

For snapflap I've got ailerons and flaps moving up/down with elevator the same amount, about 2mm. This really helps with looping manoeuvres in calmer conditions. At Chapman's Pool in these strong winds I could probably have removed snapflap and not noticed the difference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Brian

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 week ago #19377 by MikeSeale
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, Phil Ford, Brian

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.302 seconds