Winter at Win Green

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #18837 by MikeSeale
Winter at Win Green was created by MikeSeale
What a cracking afternoon it was at Win Green. I hadn't thought about how much snow there might be on the track and I'm glad I took Janes' SUV. My Fiesta would not have got through the deep snow and compacted ice.

I took two models and one transmitter with me. The Orcrist flew first and it was in its element in the 20mph breeze. When it landed, it slid on the snow towards my foot. Although travelling slowly, when it hit my foot one wing stopped and the other didn't. This caused the moving wing to lift and threw the model up into my body. No real harm done but I think a gear on one flap servo is stripped. The the Orcrist goes back in the car and out comes the Phase 5.

This also flew great and I took advantage of the slippery landing as you can see in the video. Unfortunately, the model crashed shortly afterwards. I had no idea why until I looked to see that my aileron stick was not centring. When I got home I found the broken spring inside the transmitter.

I really enjoyed the flying but I'm a little annoyed that I have to repair everything I took with me

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by MikeSeale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, DaveBright, kevinross, Phil Ford, Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #18838 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Winter at Win Green
I know full size pilots require additional training and licence endorsement to fly float and ski aircraft. Looks like you need to write a manual for slope sledging !

Sorry that your afternoon was spoiled by damage.

More
5 years 2 months ago #18839 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Winter at Win Green
Great video Mike, sorry for the unfortunate outcome. As they say, plenty of new mistakes are available - a broken spring in the tx is a definite new one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MikeSeale

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #18840 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Winter at Win Green
Thanks, David. Unfortunately it appears that it is not a new problem for Taranis users. Maybe a quality control problem?

FrSky spring problem

I've just removed the springs from on old Multiplex transmitter. Although they are longer springs they appear to have similar tension. The FrSky springs are silver to look at so I assume they are stainless steel. The Multiplex springs are a dull grey, so I assume they are piano wire. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether SS or piano wire is the better material for a spring?

More
5 years 2 months ago #18842 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic Winter at Win Green
When do we get the full video of the 1st incident ??

After you told us all about it today, we have to see it ;)

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #18844 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Winter at Win Green

MikeSeale wrote: Thanks, David. Unfortunately it appears that it is not a new problem for Taranis users. Maybe a quality control problem?

FrSky spring problem

I've just removed the springs from on old Multiplex transmitter. Although they are longer springs they appear to have similar tension. The FrSky springs are silver to look at so I assume they are stainless steel. The Multiplex springs are a dull grey, so I assume they are piano wire. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether SS or piano wire is the better material for a spring?

Mike - To the best of my knowledge coil springs are normally made from special carbon steel suitably heat treated. A magnet test on the FrSky spring will confirm if it's carbon steel, if it is and it's been plated that could be the problem. After electro plating, very high tensile steels have to be baked to avoid hydrogen embrittlement, if not done then the product is likely to fracture - this may be the cause - possibly just a bad batch.
Colin.A
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MikeSeale

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds