Valkyrie Slope Soarer

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 months 6 days ago - 9 months 6 days ago #26601 by Phil Ford
Valkyrie Slope Soarer was created by Phil Ford
Been sat for years in the guest room but has to go somewhere else - OR ELSE!
Stripped out the 90 mm 12 blade fan, Hobbywing 100 amp ESC and removed the landing gear.  Now it is very light.  Needs about 200 gms of ballast in nose area. ie; 2 x 4 cell NiMh packs

Two options: 1. Fly it as a PSS Jet and see if it survives.  2.  IF the wings survive I can with a slight mod make them into a flying wing.
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 months 6 days ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 weeks 1 day ago - 3 weeks 1 day ago #26793 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Valkyrie Slope Soarer
Eight months have passed since the post above!  Another opportunity to give it a go happened on Saturday 6th April with 30 - 40 MPH SSW winds at Ringstead.  This would be ideal as the chance of power flying for the following week looked remote due to continuous high winds.  Just four of us including me turned up.  Other club slopers came up with lame excuses and missed out

A great day and the cobwebs have blown away!  Maiden Robert's flying wing but needs more weight on the nose. (4 cell nimh and around 100gms of lead)  However, he did get to fly a Volontex Ranger (no prop) and that did go well although the first flight he landed in the field behind and luckily missed any cow pads.   After Rob went home the three of us now amused ourselves with "chase me" flights.  With a bit of a nudge I decided it was time for the EDF jet Valkyrie first slope.  It launched quite easily with virtually no trim and a short flight as I think it needs about another 100 gms of nose ballast and high rates on ailerons especially in that wind speed.  Did not bother with the Stinger EDF as it was too light.

Again we encourage more members to take a look at this mode of flight, minimal cost, cheap and fun.  Enquire anytime for a introduction to slope soaring.

Image 1: Screen grab from Mitch's rubbish phone video 

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 weeks 1 day ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, kevinross

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds